Author Topic: Baton Pass (finally) nerfed  (Read 1782 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Baton Pass (finally) nerfed
« on: June 16, 2014, 04:44 »
As of today, using more than 3 Pokemon with the move Baton Pass on the same team is banned. While I myself rarely struggled with these teams, I recognize how completely broken and unhealthy they are for the metagame. So, let's discuss this decision, and the impact it will have on the metagame.

I think we will see Clefable, Quagsire, Smeargle, Sylveon, and Vaporeon dropping from OU in the coming months. Espeon and Clefable still have a chance, especially Espeon, as it's not completely reliant on BP to be useful, but the rest of them are either OU because they're good in BP, or they're good for being an emergency stop to BP (Even though neither Quagsire nor Clefable actually stopped BP well at all).

I think this is great for the metagame. Scolipede will still be an awesome Baton Passer, Espeon still has Magic Bounce, and BP is still a viable strategy, but full team BP is something we really did not need in the metagame. Still waiting on the Pinsirite ban, and I'm still waiting to hear a single valid argument about why Latios is OU.

What do you think about this? What do you expect will rise and fall in usage with this new ban? Do you think the metagame will stabilize, or do things still need to be dealt with in order to achieve a balanced metagame?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:48 by Richard and Blaziken »
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Raphetty

• Streetpasser Extraordinaire
  • Name Rater Hater
  • 54 Mii Plaza Accomplishments; 924 Plaza Population
    • View Profile
Re: Baton Pass (finally) nerfed
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 12:26 »
It will be interesting to figure out how to build the team after the ban. Sylveon is one Pokémon that could remove Baton Pass and just be used as a recipient, since it already runs Stored Power and Hyper Voice, and can replace BP with Substitute.

EDIT: Replacing Sylveon with Magic Guard Clefable might be a better choice, since it also gets Stored Power, plus a recovery move.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:47 by Raphetty »

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica
Omega Ruby trainer name: Moga ... Alpha Sapphire trainer name: Rosella

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:49 »
Just a quick update here, effective July 9th the Baton Pass nerf has been further restricted to one Pokemon, preventing Baton Pass chains from existing. The reason for this is likely due to Scolipede being the best Baton Passer in the game, coupled with things like Espeon, Smeargle and Clefable, able to still form functioning and deadly Baton Pass chains.

I'm pretty happy with this nerf. Since the ban was implemented I'd talked with RubyRobin about how I still felt that Baton Pass was broken in many ways, and this will prevent that from being an issue. What about you guys?

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 20:32 »
So it's only two Pokémon with Baton Pass per team now, then? Excellent.

I was a little sick of being wrecked by such teams, even when packing Roar / Whirlwind or Dragon Tail.

Oh wow just one is even better xD

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 22:46 by Spriter »

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 22:31 »
Nah, only one Pokemon is allowed to have Baton Pass on a team now, allowing things like SmashPass and such, while putting s full stop to BP chains

Offline Raphetty

• Streetpasser Extraordinaire
  • Name Rater Hater
  • 54 Mii Plaza Accomplishments; 924 Plaza Population
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 10:52 »
Well, since Baton Pass is entirely legal in UU and below, do you think there is a viable UU Baton Pass chain team?

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica
Omega Ruby trainer name: Moga ... Alpha Sapphire trainer name: Rosella