Author Topic: The Teambuilding Sticky - Read it!  (Read 29617 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TCoZ

• Resident Lurker
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Teambuilding Sticky - Read it!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 22:19 »
Can I just say, if you don't mind downloading a program there's a considerably more user-friendly damage calculator here that is considerably easier to use and allows you to save/load attackers/defenders and works out if it will OHKO/2HKO/3HKO under what conditions. Me and Zy both find it really useful, so I thought I'd post it here.

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2009, 12:05 »
Gah, the first post is already at the character limit xD

May have to ask Webbz nicely if I can hijack his post ^^;

and Rob, feel free to edit that into the "Rating a team" post, I agree that it should probably be there.

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease

Offline Zy

• Ice and Lightning
  • Sentret Fan
  • Time for a true display of skill!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2009, 12:09 »
Regarding the Downloadable Base Stats Caluclator there's a bit on the attacker section, giving an "Item Type" and "Item" with a number counter. For the record, the "Item Type is absolutely useless, just add the Item Boost. (i.e. if using Life Orb, don't bother with the drop down list, just set it to 1.3.
Also, on the "Will It OHKO", if doesn't take into factorization the fact that Rock/Ground/Steel types are immune and forgets Rock types SDef increase, so use with caution.
| | | |

Offline TCoZ

• Resident Lurker
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 13:21 »
Item Type isn't useless. Different item types give their boost at different parts of the formula, so the only way to get a perfect damage calcuation is to put in the right item type.

Webby2

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2009, 14:23 »
May have to ask Webbz nicely if I can hijack his post ^^;

Hijack it if you want, I don't mind. It's not really contributing that much, so go for it =]

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2009, 19:16 »
Alex you're a star (: ta! I did leave your post at the bottom xD

This gives me MUCH more room for useful links on the first post, so I can get that other damage calculator put in.

What would be really helpful would be if one of you lot who know what you're on about could write just a sentence or two about each damage calculator; explain any glitches found in each one (such as MetalKid's not factoring in Technician), the benefits of each one over the others, stuff like that. Please? =]

Also, Rob, do tell me if you want me to bugger out of your board and let you control the sticky from now on xD;

wake up, kids

Webby2

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2009, 19:26 »
I saw, the emoticon looks so happy there nodding. =P
And yay more stuff ^^

Offline TCoZ

• Resident Lurker
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2009, 19:48 »
Metalkid's damage calculator is by far the easiest to use, and requires no knowledge of base stats or similar to use, however the way the damage calculation is done makes it slightly incorrect, and certain abilities or moves aren't worked out properly. If you're only worried about a rough estimate, then use it, but if it says you'll OHKO or similar don't assume that it will.

libelldra Forge's Damage Calculator is the most complicated one to use, requiring information on the exact stat, not just the base stat and EVs/nature, which can be very annoying if you make a slight change like nature or base stat. However, if you have this information, it is the fastest to use, and shows information on OHKOs/2HKOs  in different situations (leftovers/stealth rock). I do believe that there are slight errors at lower levels, but they are very minute and won't make a difference (unless you're interested in Little Cup).

Steinhauser's Offline Damage Calculator is almost like a mix of both. It maintains the accuracy of libelldra Forge's damage calculator, while being easier to use. It also has the unique feature of allowing you to save the attacker's and the defender's information to use later. Provided you know the base stats, typing matchups and base power of the move, it is simple to use. This information can easily be found on PKMN.net's pokédex. The only real problem is the fact you have to download it, and there is a chance that it might not work on your computer. However, if you are willing to download it and it works, it is easily the most useful of the three.

something like that?

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2009, 19:57 »
Aha, that's perfect =] thanks a bunch, Ben!

wake up, kids

Offline TCoZ

• Resident Lurker
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2009, 19:59 »
It's no problem.

Also, a while ago I wrote a tips on team building page in draft, hoping Enigma would type it up in neat. However, he seems to have been busy and hasn't started work on them, and it seems that this page is considerably more up to date. I can write them up for the sticky if you want?

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2009, 20:05 »
I think you'd be better writing them up as a site page, and me then linking to it in the Quick Links section =]

wake up, kids

Offline TCoZ

• Resident Lurker
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2009, 20:14 »
Okay, cool. I'll do that later this week.

Offline Zy

• Ice and Lightning
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2009, 20:28 »
Kay - read the SMP. There's a thread called "The Speed Generator".
In that, I posted a relatively large list of Benchmark Numbers - these can be used in order to calculate if you'll outspeed something, or to figure how many EVs/How large a stat you require to check a certain threat. I feel that may be useful, but it's gone neglected.

Also, an even more useful list I could write up is a Hidden Power Calculator. Because Hidden Power Types and Power are based off IV's, they remain the same for all species, so I could give IV spreads for certain types and certain powers, if need be, (Powers being 70, 60 and 59, as 59/60 get Technician boosts. I dunno.) or if there's enough interest/demand.
| | | |

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2009, 20:31 »
I believe Jeroen was looking into writing an IV Calculator of our own, so you're probably best talking to him about integrating Hidden Power into that. The two go hand in hand, really.

And thanks for the Speed Generator topic link, I rarely check the SMP so I would never have noticed that. I can just stick that in Quick Links, since there's plenty of information in the topic itself, right?

wake up, kids

Offline Zy

• Ice and Lightning
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2009, 20:36 »
Not in the topic itself ^^;
The topic was discussion and speculation on ideas. I think you're best linking to the post instead, and if anybody's interested they can scroll back.

Also I'm not too sure how "I want Hidden Power [X]" fits into an IV Calc. Surely they just show you the IVs and HP Type and you can't change that? Wouldn't it be easier to click a link, hit "Ctrl+F" and type in "Ice 70" and be greeted with the IV spread you need, instead of having to open a calculator, then typing in numbers through trial and error in order to obtain the right IVs? That's just my opinion.
| | | |