Author Topic: VGC 2014 RMT  (Read 1194 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
VGC 2014 RMT
« on: March 03, 2014, 19:26 »
I've been playing a lot of VGC lately and I found this team is pretty OK so far, but I'm looking for further recommendations from the good people of pkmn.net.
Without further ado...

Mega-Gengar@Gengarite
Timid Nature
252SpAtk/252Spd/4hp
-Substitute
-Hidden Power Ice
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb

I'd say this guy is the core member of the team. We got shadow ball for the STAB, sludge bomb for both STAB and fairies (although I feel focus blast could be better? Sure it kills azumarills but those klefkis and mawiles are causing slight problems), Hidden Power Ice to kill garchomps. I can get a free substitute off usually with the Lucario support and the mega-evo, but losing levitate really hurts against the wide amount of earthquakes flying around. I could replace gengarite with life orb, but I feel the speed increase is really important. Alakazam could also be used instead of this guy but I'm a little uncertain about how well he does.

Lucario@Leftovers
Careful Nature
252HP/252SpD/4Def
-Follow Me
-Extremespeed/Bullet Punch
-Detect
-Quick Guard

Most of the time, I'll lead this guy along with Gengar. Follow me lets Lucario take those dark type attacks that would be aimed at Gengar like a champ. Extremespeed is there to take off focus sashes and double team pokemon that Gengar alone might not be able to take out. Quick Guard helps nullify those prankster T-waves from meowstick and klefki, as well as stopping Gale Wings Brave Birds from Talonflame. I run Detect over Protect to stop any Imprison shenanigans, but looking back that strategy doesn't seem to be too prevalent, so I could just switch it back to protect for the double shields and PP.
I'm not too sure about the EV Spread, I'd like to specify it a little more for whatever various threats are flying around.

Rotom-W@Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
252HP/44Def/4SpAtk/180SpDef/28Spd
-Discharge
-Will o Wisp
-Light Screen
-Hydro Pump
As much as I would like to say I made that spread myself, I just stole it off some guy from nugget bridge, who in turn got it from a Japanese VGC player or something. It works quite well for me so far, so I'm just sticking with it for now. Will-o-Wisp and Light Screen let me effectively shut down most threats that are charging at my team, both physical and special. Discharge creates a nice synergy with Garchomp and Hydro Pump is there for a bit of nice coverage.

Garchomp@Yache Berry
Rough Skin
252Atk/252Spd/4HP
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Dragon Claw
-Protect
Fairly standard garchomp set. EQ and Dragon Claw give a nice bit of STAB, Rock Slide takes out Charizards and Talonflames, protect because VGC. Yache Berry is amazing for Garchomp since a lot of Ice moves flying at him in VGC don't have STAB and are in fact usually just Hidden Powers. At best, they tickle him, leaving me in a good position to 2HKO most things. I run rough skin over sand force, even though I have a Tyranitar, because sandstorm rough skin is useful in those tense 1v1 moments against other physical attackers.

Talonflame@Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
4hp/252Atk/252Spd
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Tailwind
-Protect

Use ALL the OPs! Talonflame gives a nice bit of priority on my team, which it could really do with. Flare Blitz also gives me something to hit those steel/fairy type pokemon, the previously mentioned Klefki and Mawile. Brave Bird is also nice to get those speedy sweepers. Protect is good to save it from Rock type attacks, such as the common rock slide. Not sure what to put for the third slot; Tailwind is nice but Talonflame is often too frail to set it up with. Also not sure what to really put as an item, since focus sash will probably mean I'll only get one hit off due to recoil. I run 252/252 to outspeed any other Talonflames that could be around.

Tyranitar@Air Baloon
Jolly Nature
90HP/16Atk/28Def/124SpDef/240 Spd
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Taunt
-Protect
So what's with the crazy EV spread? With this EV spread, I'm outspeeded by Politoed and Speed variants of Charizard-Y, meaning I can get my sandstorm down and get the SpAtk boost to not die from Hydro Pump/SolarBeam. Neutral variants of Charizard will get outspeed or speed tied and just die from rock slide. I could take off another 4 EVs to make sure I get outsped though. Neutral Natured Politoed should still outspeed, so my sandstorm should still go down. The rest of the spread lets me take an aqua jet from azumarill pretty well, and I can't remember what the rest of it's for but I'm sure its important for some reason. Rock Slide and Crunch for coverage. Taunt is really useful since it helps me shutdown Trick Room and other such nonsense, and lets me at least restrict the options of those prankster users flying around.
EDIT: Aaaand all that stuff about Charizard-Y is just wrong because the mega evolution screws it over
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 21:27 by Hahex and Oshawott »

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
Re: VGC 2014 RMT
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 20:35 »
I... can not say your team is flawed; it is VERY solid. However, I have a few doubts.
First off, is MegaBannegar allowed? If that's the case, dang it! Look for a partner with no ground-weakness, since Tyranitar and Lucario -especially the latter- are weak to EARTHQUAKE, your only nemesis.

However... I am not very sure of Lucario. It is very frail per se, and I don't think that spread would lead to major success. Notice that most of your team has invested in SpD and not Defence; although WoW helps, it is usually not wise to rely just in one move.

Taunt with Tyranitar is odd; Taunt with that Speed and purpose is excellent, but the problem is Tyranitar itself; it is just too scary to let them set-up. Most Trick Room setters are either Psy or Ghosts, and they are not going to stay for long there, even more considering MeGengar is there. However, there's also the case which you lack offensive presence and this is unavoidable.

I assume your Garchomp is jolly.

Nothing else by now.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 20:48 by Delicious_Scout »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 21:07 »
I... can not say your team is flawed; it is VERY solid. However, I have a few doubts.
First off, is MegaBannegar allowed? If that's the case, dang it! Look for a partner with no ground-weakness, since Tyranitar and Lucario -especially the latter- are weak to EARTHQUAKE, your only nemesis.

However... I am not very sure of Lucario. It is very frail per se, and I don't think that spread would lead to major success. Notice that most of your team has invested in SpD and not Defence; although WoW helps, it is usually not wise to rely just in one move.

Taunt with Tyranitar is odd; Taunt with that Speed and purpose is excellent, but the problem is Tyranitar itself; it is just too scary to let them set-up. Most Trick Room setters are either Psy or Ghosts, and they are not going to stay for long there, even more considering MeGengar is there. However, there's also the case which you lack offensive presence and this is unavoidable.

I assume your Garchomp is jolly.

Nothing else by now.
I need taunt on something for VGC games otherwise its just too hard to deal with so much stuff. Mega Gengar is allowed in VGC, its only banned on smogon. I think a more physically defensive lucario would be a better idea.

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 22:52 »
Have you considered Togekiss over Lucario? It has MUCH better defences and follow me, whilst also being immune to ground. It does lose out on quick guard, iirc, but it still has Extremespeed (although a fair bit weaker, unless you run Hustle) and keeps a dark resistance. I know Talonflame, being a flying type, shares the electric and rock weakness with this guy, but Talonflame isn't exactly rhe pinnacle of defence, and Garchomp covers Flyings weaknesses fairly well (bar Ice, of course, which may be a bigger problem without Lucario)

Just an option to consider, I couldn't really say which is superior tbh (although I'd choose Togekiss on principle I won't use Lucario xD)
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 23:16 »
Have you considered Togekiss over Lucario? It has MUCH better defences and follow me, whilst also being immune to ground. It does lose out on quick guard, iirc, but it still has Extremespeed (although a fair bit weaker, unless you run Hustle) and keeps a dark resistance. I know Talonflame, being a flying type, shares the electric and rock weakness with this guy, but Talonflame isn't exactly rhe pinnacle of defence, and Garchomp covers Flyings weaknesses fairly well (bar Ice, of course, which may be a bigger problem without Lucario)

Just an option to consider, I couldn't really say which is superior tbh (although I'd choose Togekiss on principle I won't use Lucario xD)
Lucario does have the noveltly of attracting burns and attack debuffs to him. I'll try out togekiss. I should move quick guard to talonflame instead of tailwind as well