Author Topic: OU trial team help  (Read 1506 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline OpalRhea

• PUK's unofficial psycho writing steampunked Charizard
  • Sentret Fan
  • Credit goes to meta spriters. Shiny Chary is smexy
    • View Profile
OU trial team help
« on: May 13, 2014, 15:17 »
Hi. I'm running a trial team on showdown, and I'd like opinions if at all possible.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Dance
- Surf

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch

Replaced by

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Talonflame @ Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Defog
- Roost
- Foul Play

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

Altered to

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Rich is mostly to blame for these, addressing that now.
Mandibuzz is there purely as defog, so a replacement isn't a bad idea. I take no credit for this. Rich put the work into writing PotW, I just tried to apply it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 02:49 by OpalRhea »

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
Re: OU trial team help
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 15:34 »
Not only him, but I do blame you as well for using such OP Pokémon

Let's begin with Mandibuzz. Unless you are planning to wall using resistances, which is not very intelligent if you only have two Pokémon in your party, either Taunt or Toxic should be used over one of those two attacking moves. Knock Off is general utility, whereas Foul Play scores many important 2HKOs, especially with Toxic. But Taunt is excellent due to her base 80 speed and the fact it is set-up bait for Agility/Nasty-Ploters, as well as avoiding statuses.

Be careful with Brave Aegislash, especially without Shadow Ball; it tends to be burnt if it is not careful, and, as you know, set-up sweepers do not like to switch. As well, you are a joke for Unaware Quagsire; although rare, it recovers, encores and burns, and it can even Stockpile. Moreover, just having Shadow Sneak is very risky; it does not deal gargantuan damage, especially with leftovers.

Latios prefers running Earthquake with Dragon Dance, and this set can be walled by any sturdy Steel Type, especially specially defensive Empoleon (uncommon); he suffers from four-moves-syndrome, and having one set-up moves does nothing good against it (unless it is roost). The speed gain from +1 is barely noticeable, and most Latios who run Choice Scarf are Timid, due to their natural strenght.

Pinsir, Talonflame, and Conkel are good enough, although I see you will be switching a lot while using it; hence, I recommend using Toxic Orb.

TL;DR
Your Team is too physical. Add something special. The resistances of your team are... good enough. And your attacking types... lack Ground (maybe) and Rock (necessary). Electric and Grass are recommended as well, since I do not think you will be able to pass through bulky water types with this team.
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 16:09 »
Latios prefers running Earthquake with Dragon Dance, and this set can be walled by any sturdy Steel Type, especially specially defensive Empoleon (uncommon); he suffers from four-moves-syndrome, and having one set-up moves does nothing good against it (unless it is roost). The speed gain from +1 is barely noticeable, and most Latios who run Choice Scarf are Timid, due to their natural strenght.

Latios can use Dragon Dance just for the boost in speed, though I do agree. It needs to be run with DD / Outrage / Draco Meteor / Earthquake. EQ allows it to nail Tyranitar and Heatran, while Draco Meteor at least retains some special attacking potency.

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 23:17 »
If you are planning to run more of a mixed Latios set, then you might also want to consider mixing up the EVs a little in order to compensate.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 05:27 »
Modest Latios can be used with DD just for the Speed boost, nothing wrong with that. But when factoring Draco Meteor's Sp. Attack drop, you're going to be switching too often to repeatedly setup. Not worth it. Go Timid and add HP Fire > DD.

Assault Vest is my personal choice for Conk. Flame Orb is okay, but Conk is really slow, so if you're going offensive, you might want a faster Fighting type. Terrakion, Mienshao, Lucario or Keldeo are options for faster Fighting types. The latter could also help balance out the amount of physical and special Pokemon on your team.

Aegislash should run Quiet with Shadow Ball, Shadow Sneak, King's Shield, Sacred Sword / Flash Cannon. Not only is it harder to wall, but your team is too physically oriented.

I think Mandibuzz is fine as it is. Taunt is nice, but everything you have is too important to remove. Knock Off is the only thing you could remove, and it's not worth it at all.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline OpalRhea

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 06:38 »
Okay. I'll modify and give it a run when I next get on showdown. Also, do I need to respec EVs? If so how? And Richard, what would you recommend for Keledo?

And Delicious, you make a good point. I had three opponent forfeits in three matches, two before I'd even made a move. The third happened as soon as pinsir mega evolved

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 06:53 »
For Quiet Aegislash, I'd just switch to 252 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 4 Attack with a 0 Speed IV to ensure you always hit the opponent after they hit you. For Keldeo, it depends on the set you're running. Specs, CM, SubCM, Scarf, or 4 attacks LO. In any case, you're probably going to want max Speed and Sp. Attack with Timid nature.

Offline OpalRhea

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 02:47 »
okay so...

Latios hasn't been changed much. Just has HP Fire over D-Dance. Conkle's been replaced with

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Aegislash is now-
Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Any suggestions for improvements to Keldeo are welcome.

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 05:07 »
I'd drop HP Ghost for Icy Wind. Jellicent isn't common enough this generation for HP Ghost to be useful.

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 01:00 »
I personally like to bring Weakness Policy on Aegislash but maybe that's because I'm so bad that I have to rely on cheap sweepers to carry my team.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 01:29 »
WP Aegislash isn't cheap. It's actually good planning, if you survive the hit.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 13:54 »
eurgh these guys are so common it hurts lol >_<

you might want scald or surf over hydro pump on keldeo, but thats all up to whether you mind the accuracy/power drop