Author Topic: RESIGNATION  (Read 12953 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Webby

• Don't come back up unless you're wearing a pussy moustache!
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
Re: RESIGNATION
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 21:00 »
I'm surprised this has happened, and I think that we're gonna lose a lot due to this... but you have reasons which make this necessary, and I don't blame you for resigning your position. Hopefully things will get better for you now this isn't hanging over your head most of the time.

"i hope you get niall bursting out of a tower cake singing "happy birthday mr president" and he's wearing a "miss america 2013" sash while giving you a 3 hour lapdance"

Offline RocketMember002

• Joy Incarnate
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 21:08 »
Aww, you've been an admin forever, sad to see you go. Can't say I've ever noticed the site blowing up, so I don't see why there were such dramas.

Offline Pandemonium

• Power is means, not an end
  • Gym League Members
  • Sentret Fan
  • Sabrina~
    • View Profile
    • Project Haruhi-- We're not interested in ORDINARY cartoons.
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 21:11 »
So one of the few things that stayed constant through my time--now more than 5 years--here has eventually changed?

Truly an end of an era, Jeroen. I have had no problems with you, even if just due to ignorance, and am sad to see you go. I've always had a high measure of respect for the little I know of you.

Offline Utack and Swampy

• "Generally, anything in the 31-28 range is fantastic, 27-24 is ok, 23-lower is no."
  • Fan Fan
  • Smooth as a Silcoon~
    • View Profile
    • My Art
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 21:14 »
So long and thanks for all the fish!

I wanted to say that...

Uhm...Bye Bye I guess? I'll miss you..You were like that intimidating big brother person that seems to be all the rage, watching us from the shadows, making sure we followed the rules and such...Sorry admin-ing became such a chore for you, but I wish you best of luck in whatever your future may hold! ^-^

Thank's to Blake... for the awesome sig!

Offline Mushroom

• PKMN.NET's Original Pirate Captain
  • Elite Four Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "Last Post On The Page" King
    • View Profile
    • My Music Review Site
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 22:24 »
Wait, who owns the site now? Is Jeroen still Co-Owner, or has all the responsibility gone back to James? He's got too big for us now.

Or Mike, are you claiming ownership in this power vaccuum?

Webby2

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 22:41 »
Come on guys, at least show some respect. He may not have been the best leader or whatever, but he still gave a lot to the site which should be appreciated. Whether you liked him or not, there is no doubting that he had a positive impact during his time despite the problems that did come up.

It's a shame to see you resign Jeroen, but it's understandable and I hope that things improve for you ^^.

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 23:30 »
It's taken me quite some time to think about what to post here.

I don't think there's been a topic in recent times in which we've agreed with one another Jeroen, and that should suggest that seeing your resignation should be a good thing.

But, as Muhed says, the weighty feeling I get isn't one of elation, nor is it one of sadness. That's not to say it's a feeling of complete indifference, that's the last thing it is, but it's just a very difficult emotion to describe.

Rejoice, you who think I should have gone a long time ago. You won your pyrrhic victory

I won't lie - I had to wiki that to find out what it meant. By no means am I devaluing all your work that you've done - for which I (and many others,) am exceedingly grateful - but are the 'devastating losses' physical? Are you taking coding / content with you? Or do you believe that what the site is losing as a general whole is the devastating loss incurred from your departure?

Either way, I completely understand why you've left, and I'm not going to say it should have come sooner - but I am certainly suprised that it didn't. You've held out a long time under intense pressure that, for a long time, I've wondered how you've coped under.

So I guess this is a post acknowledging your work for the site, and your unrivalled determination. And a great big thank you, I guess.

Offline That Girl in the 'Roo Suit

• "You'll go far with your compassion. But unless you have the tenacity, you'll never make it to the top"
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • WE ROXOR U THEN U AM CRY
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 00:12 »
I could see this coming eventually, and it's sad to see you stepping back, from an administrative point of view. I know the last months, maybe even year, have been increasingly stressful for you around here, and tensions caused within the site really haven't helped. If anything, they've made this inevitable.

But I commend you for leaving, especially if it's affecting your health. You shouldn't let anything like this get in the way of your own personal wellbeing, no matter how obliged you feel towards it. That's something I've learnt the hard way. I also respect your leaving because of how tedious it's become. You're quite right; you can do things like that and get paid for it, so why carry on with something you no longer enjoy as some sort of free service?

So thank you for making such a huge contribution to the site over the years, and for making my time here to date enjoyable. And thank you, really, for making the site what it is and has been for many.
-~-
Well did she make you cry? Make you break down?
Shatter your illusions of love?
And is it over now? Do you know how
To pick up the pieces and go home?
-~-

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 00:56 »
Maybe I'll respond to more of this later, but I think this bit could do with a more immediate reply.

but are the 'devastating losses' physical? Are you taking coding / content with you? Or do you believe that what the site is losing as a general whole is the devastating loss incurred from your departure?

At this time, there is nobody with the PHP knowledge, Linux knowledge or other required knowledge to maintain the site and server active on the staff team, and so it appears unlikely that anyone will be able to add new features or repair the site or server if it breaks down for any reason. There's nobody who knows enough about the technical side of things to handle any of that. It's one of the reasons it was hard to make this decision, because it currently seems the most likely point of failure.

I was starting to address that, but circumstances forced me to make that decision now and they have left me in a state where I'm not going to do any training for the site from now on.
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Offline Mushroom

• PKMN.NET's Original Pirate Captain
  • Elite Four Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "Last Post On The Page" King
    • View Profile
    • My Music Review Site
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 01:22 »
Sorry to see you go Jeroen.

Now, anyone who wants to become the new overlord of PKMN.NET just needs to learn the coding necessary to bring the site back from a server crash. Luckily, a lot of the content upload systems are semi-automated, but in terms of true new site content... this is the beginning of the end.

Offline Utack and Swampy

• "Generally, anything in the 31-28 range is fantastic, 27-24 is ok, 23-lower is no."
  • Fan Fan
  • Smooth as a Silcoon~
    • View Profile
    • My Art
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 01:56 »
Hm...So let's see if I have this correct: Joeno is the only one around that knows how to fix the site when it gets broken, and the only one who can add new contet to the site, such as new announcements and fourm boards for the 5th generation and such?

Utack: If thats the case, then it seems pretty important that someone is found who has the same kind of knowolage and get them up to speed on the situation before somthing happens and the site goes down..Right?
Swampy: That, or we abandon ship like Richie did...
Utack: Oh...Grim Future it's looking like...  :(
* Utack and Swampy starts preparing the life rafts

Thank's to Blake... for the awesome sig!

Offline Crystal Walrein

• Sniff, sniff....
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • 'I am #365 Walrein of the PUK Pokémon Crew!'
    • View Profile
    • Cross Stinging Reality
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 03:32 »
If it were four years ago and I was looking ahead to what was going on here, I probably would have kicked myself in the head for going soft by way of writing the following, and I am aware that writing the following may engender some controversy seeing as I haven't been terribly active lately.

In spite of everything I might have done to irk you when I first was regular on the forums, or any doubts I might have had as to the emotional stability of the PKMN.NET community, I want you to know deep down I had the utmost respect for you as an admin, and I was foolish to assume any antipathy back then. I am aware right now that there are some people who would have wished that this had come years sooner, but as I've said before, for a member the prospect of being somehow responsible for the removal of an administrator is not one that should be celebrated.

Let this be a sombre day in the history of PKMN.NET.

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 11:58 »
At this time, there is nobody with the PHP knowledge, Linux knowledge or other required knowledge to maintain the site and server active on the staff team, and so it appears unlikely that anyone will be able to add new features or repair the site or server if it breaks down for any reason. There's nobody who knows enough about the technical side of things to handle any of that. It's one of the reasons it was hard to make this decision, because it currently seems the most likely point of failure.

this is the beginning of the end.

Utack: Oh...Grim Future it's looking like...  :(

Let this be a sombre day in the history of PKMN.NET.

...aren't you all overreacting a little?

I don't want to devalue everything that you've done for us Jeroen, but you're severely underestimating the members of this forum if you (and the subsequent three apocalpyse-fearing posters) believe that PKMN.NET will end here.

I can't put this in a sugar coated way, but there must be other people who have the same knowledge as you Jeroen. Your ICT skills are undoubtedly fantastic, and it's certainly going to effect the site - but I think this is all a bit of a fingers-up moment in Mike's direction. Kind of insulting to him to say that now that Jeroen's gone, there's NO WAY IN HEAVEN that he's going to run the site half as effectively as Jeroen.

When this site's dead and gone, you're welcome to tell me "I told you so." But I don't think for a second that this is 'the beginning of the end.' At the risk of looking disrepectful and not lingering on this topic long enough, I think it's time we started looking for someone who has this kind of knowledge to replace Jeroen's position as main coding dude.

Sure, I look like a nasty person for discussing a replacement in this very topic, but Jeroen said it himself, his position is so important to the site that we need to find one in order to avert such problems as server crashes.

Offline Spartacus

• Torterra & Rampardos in PKMN Crew 3. A Blaziken, Gallade, Torterra and apparently a
  • Mulholland Fan
  • I'm Spartacus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 12:36 »
I'm only a casual visitor and contributor, but it is sad to see anyone leave something that they have worked on for a long time.

Jeroen, All the best in all that you have planned (and unplanned) in your future. Hope to still see some inputs on the forums from yourself.

To the future.......!
** Winner of Pokemole 5 ** Thanks for all the hints Snover.  :D
MarioKart Freind Code: 4340-3919-7210

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 13:14 »
I didn't really want to post here, undoubtedly we had our clashes in the past and undoubtedly we'd continue to have them, but despite that I've never denied that you did great things for this place in terms of technical support. Just to let you know, thanks for your hard work and I wish you all the best in the future.

Sorry to see you go Jeroen.

Now, anyone who wants to become the new overlord of PKMN.NET just needs to learn the coding necessary to bring the site back from a server crash. Luckily, a lot of the content upload systems are semi-automated, but in terms of true new site content... this is the beginning of the end.

Before we panic, I'd like to say that while I don't have a great deal of experience with apache, I'm pretty sure that recovering from a crash doesn't require any knowledge of coding, coding is likely to be for adding new content. You need someone with Unix knowledge and some experience of server management. Although he's not a staff member, you could try nutter (on IRC) seeing as he already manages one of the irc servers (storm).