Author Topic: Team Building Q+A Thread  (Read 48984 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Reluctant Wailord

Re: Team Building Q+A Thread
« Reply #255 on: October 26, 2013, 21:41 »
Should I go for Drill Peck or Brave Bird on my Skarmory? I'm planning to go for 252HP/252SpDef/4Def, with an Impish nature. Moves'll be Spikes, Roar/Whirlwind, and Roost.

quack98

« Reply #256 on: October 26, 2013, 21:56 »
Personally, I'd go Drill Peck, as he isn't doing much damage anyways, and wouldn't like the recoil. Especially as he'll only really be attacking under taunt, when he can't roost off recoil ^_^

Brave Bird is still good though, I just don't think it's as good

Reluctant Wailord

« Reply #257 on: October 26, 2013, 22:31 »
But then again, given Skarm's attack, Drill Peck won't do much, and recoil from Brave Bird wouldn't be much. Added to its commedable defenses, Brave Bird seems a viable option as well.

quack98

« Reply #258 on: October 26, 2013, 22:36 »
Defense doesn't help against recoil at all though, it just deals 1/3 of damage dealt back to you. Neither attack will do damage, so I find it best to go to the more sustainable option of drill peck. Of course, Brave Bird does have it's merits, but I think Skarmory isn't doing enough damage to make it worthwhile taking any recoil, especially considering it breaks Sturdy.

Reluctant Wailord

« Reply #259 on: October 26, 2013, 22:55 »
I mentioned defense, as it would help keep Skarmory's HP at a sustainable level after taking a pounding, allowing for recoil damage to not be a significant threat. Skarmory's low attack would reduce recoil further.

I don't think Sturdy holds much weight on Skarmory, given it's primarily a tank, built to endure. I don't know, that's just how it seems.

quack98

« Reply #260 on: October 26, 2013, 23:04 »
The problem is, Drill Peck has 80 BP, 2/3 that of Brave Bird. But Brave Bird deals a third recoil, so your relative health is the same either way, but Drill Peck doesn't break sturdy. However small an advantage, it's still an advantage. Furthermore, the fact that Skarmory deals little damage increases the need for PP. Brave Bird has 15 (Max. 24(?)) whilst Drill Peck has 20 (Max. 32), and so drill peck will let you last a little longer.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 26, 2013, 23:13 »
Honestly, I'm sure this has been asked before but I'll ask it anyway. When one puts a team together, what is it exactly that one looks for when putting together 6 pokemon? Synergy to cover one another's typings is one thing but what else?

A combination of synergy and making sure you aren't majorly weak to a certain type, and being able to take on most of the metagame (OU, UU, RU etc.) is ideal.

Reluctant Wailord

« Reply #262 on: October 26, 2013, 23:16 »
True, but realistically speaking, who's going to be able to OHKO Skarmory in a single hit? You'd need a fairly heavy hitter with a couple of boosts behind them to do that.
PP, for me, is never the problem. A battle rarely ever turns into a war of attrition, for me. Furthermore, while Drill Peck has more PP, Brave Bird is more powerful. Considering Skarmory's attack, and frequency of attack, every hit has to count.

quack98

« Reply #263 on: October 26, 2013, 23:30 »
What can OHKO skarmory?

CB Infernape flare blitz has a chance of OHKOing 252/252+ Skarmory.

Jolteons thunderbolt OHKOs 252/252+ (specially defensive) Skarmory.

Spec Politoed Hydro pump in rain OHKOs specially defensive Skarmory.

These are all situational, yes, but better than nothing. Now let's flip it. What can Skarmory do?

Breloom is OHKO'd by either move, but Brave bird would deal a third recoil.

Ferrothorn is 5HKO'd by Brave Bird, and 9HKO'd by Drill Peck (252/48 Ferrothorn with Leftovers)

Heatran (Common Taunter, 248/8) is 9HKO'd by Brave Bird, and 10-11HKO'd by Drill Peck.

Jellicent (Another common Taunter 252/36) is 3-4HKO'd by Brave Bird or 4-5HKO'd by Drill Peck

Most of the time, drill peck is either marginally worse, or the same, or it's not worth attacking anyway, and you should just switch.

Reluctant Wailord

« Reply #264 on: October 26, 2013, 23:36 »
Fair deuce, I see your point.My thanks for your patience.
I'm willing to ignore anything highly situational, though, given that the team's just going to be for pubbing, and a few friendly matches with some friends. I'll get to work on its EVs, then.
Unless you want to recommend a different spread?

quack98

« Reply #265 on: October 26, 2013, 23:43 »
Nah, your spread looks fine! Specially defensive is normally the way to go, to ease blows from the hidden hp fires!

Reluctant Wailord

« Reply #266 on: October 26, 2013, 23:55 »
Yeah, I figured upping defense would be overkill, and I wasn't sacrificing HP. Anyway, many thanks - I shall be making use of Super Training. Oh Super Training, how I love thee.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 27, 2013, 01:19 »
Wailord, I think Brave bird is the right move. The extra power can sometimes make a difference. Plus, Stab at 120 BP.

Just wait for Richard.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

quack98

« Reply #268 on: October 27, 2013, 01:22 »
^Saying it 'can sometimes make the difference' doesn't quite cut it when choosing a move. Back it up with calculations of exactly when it's going to make that difference. Remembering of course Skarmory should only be attacking when under taunt anyways, or if the opponent is Breloom.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 27, 2013, 01:25 »
Still, wrong Richard.

Read this, it's Smogon, many sets suggested are from this site, this is useful info IMO.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/skarmory
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN