1 (7.7%)
Yes, only simulators
4 (30.8%)
Yes, if started in Gen VI
4 (30.8%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: 8 Gym leaders of... PKMN?  (Read 4837 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

quack98

8 Gym leaders of... PKMN?
« on: July 16, 2013, 19:44 »
Firstly, not sure this is the right place so I apologise in advance if its wrong.

Loads of people complain the sites dead and we need a new idea, so what about a set of gym leaders?

What I mean is, we have 8 (or 16) members as gym leaders and if someone can beat all 8 (via wi-fi) they knock the 1st gym leader off, and take place at the top.

This could just be done over wi-fi (in whichever gen is the latest at the time) with a thread for it.

What do people think? Do ya like the idea, or part of it?

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Gym leaders of... PKMN?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 19:49 »
Gym Leaders has been done before, and it's never successful anywhere. To have a minimum of 8 people dedicated to such a cause for an indefinite amount of time is unrealistic. It sounds like a cool idea on paper, but I've never seen it done successfully and remain successful for an extended period of time. =/
Discord - richardblaziken

Wolstenholme

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 19:58 »
It would be a great idea... if I had the right sort of wi-fi to for DS (Curse you Talk Talk!)

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 20:02 »
Sounds, cool, although, matches would have to be set up when I have time for it.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

quack98

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 20:07 »
Gym Leaders has been done before, and it's never successful anywhere. To have a minimum of 8 people dedicated to such a cause for an indefinite amount of time is unrealistic. It sounds like a cool idea on paper, but I've never seen it done successfully and remain successful for an extended period of time. =/

I see what you mean with needing 8 people so dedicated to it, perhaps we could have certain times in which battles take place? (E.g. If you want to battle fire gym it's on the 19th July)

It would be a great idea... if I had the right sort of wi-fi to for DS (Curse you Talk Talk!)

Aww, if you don't have a 3DS most British Internet doesn't work :(

Wolstenholme

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 20:16 »
It doesn't work on any nintendo product, I can  get it on my PS3 fine but the Wii and DS's NOOOOO.

Offline lugia95

• Joeno Fan
  • Credit to Chloe for the awesome avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 21:48 »
Sounds pretty fun. Maybe if we had some very active members watching over it, we could manage to keep it going for some time.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 22:04 »
I'd be up for it, but I don't really do wi-fi. In addition, with gen 6 right around the corner, it might be better to wait until then to start such an ambitious project. Not trying to be the wet blanket here, I'm just trying to be realistic, as I could see this having an opposite effect of what's intended, and it'd be de-moralizing when the project loses interest. However, once X/Y are released, I think we'll see a lot more activity here, and that would be a great time to host leagues and such. :>
Discord - richardblaziken

quack98

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 22:08 »
I suppose waiting till October isn't exactly unreasonable, it does make a lot more sense (plus everyone with Gen Vi will have the 3DS, and therefore more likely to have working wifi)

Wolstenholme

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 22:09 »
We could use http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/ like we are for the Tournament - that way we know that everyone has access to it (Think about it - it makes sense!)

Offline f3raligatr

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 22:35 »
This is certainly something we have attempted before on both stimulators (NetBattle, Showdown, Shoddy Battle) and cartridge. The stimulator worked quite well from memory, we had a static team which was initially 8 Gym Leaders and 5 Elite Four members, and allowed you to get in touch with those Leaders to arrange convenient times (when we were a bit busier). We opened it up a bit, allowing you to earn them in any order to help ease the time issue, it worked quite well from memory.. although I don't think that many completed it.

We also tried a WiFi one, perhaps we were a bit too ambitious but when Diamond and Pearl were first released (when WiFi was first possible) and there was a bit of a craze, we attempted a Challenge League which would see a more long-term attempt at the above.

If you can find enough members to be interested, plus enough people who can dedicate that kind of time, then there's no reason why we couldn't help from the PKMN.net Administrative side of things, but.. it's not something we've had much luck with in the past I'm afraid.. interest tends to fade quite quickly once the initial buzz wears off.

09-07-2013 & 12-08-2013
beyond the suffering you've known
i hope you find your way
may you never be broken again

Wolstenholme

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 22:39 »
Well I'm certainly interested! - My only problem is that I'm going on holiday on the 31st (July!) 'till the 15th (August!) So I won't be available then unless there's computers (and internet) in Florida apartments!

I'd be well up for being a gym leader - that is if this goes ahead and providing that there's a spot to fill!

quack98

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 22:41 »
I'm going to add a poll to see how many people would be interested then

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 22:42 »
I'd have to do wi-fi, because that's how I prefer it, but let's wait till gen 6