Author Topic: Starter Pokemon  (Read 6277 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline NicholasSezate

• Pokemon Fan
    • View Profile
Starter Pokemon
« on: December 01, 2013, 07:16 »
I have been wondering which pokemon were the best for each region? Many people have also been wondering this. So, I have looked at the stats of each starter and their evolutions. I have also taken into account the types of gyms and the elite four and I have ended up with this:
Kanto: 1st. Squirtle 2nd. Bulbasaur 3rd. Charmander
Johto: 1st. Cyndaquil 2nd. Totodile 3rd. Chikorita
Hoenn: 1st. Mudkip 2nd. Treecko 3rd. Torchic
Sinnoh: 1st. Piplup 2nd. Chimchar 3rd. Turtwig
Unova: 1st. Oshawott 2nd. Tepig 3rd. Snivy
Kalos: 1st. Fennekin 2nd. Chespin & Froakie (Tie)

As you can see, the majority is water. I was shocked because I always use grass. I was wondering what types you have chosen and if you agree or disagree with my ordering.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Re: Starter Pokemon
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 08:17 »
Here's how it's looking from a competitive standpoint in gen 6:

Kanto: Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur (with Charizard's impressive Mega Evos, and Blastoise becoming the best Spinner ever, it's not hard to see why. Venusaur also loses infinite Sun this gen)
Johto: Feraligatr, Typhlosion, Meganium (this generation's starters all suck competitively. At least Feraligatr gets a good DW ability and Dragon Dance)
Hoenn: Blaziken, Swampert, Sceptile (Blaziken is banned for being extremely overpowered, Swampert has nice stats and typing, Sceptile has fallen from grace since 3rd gen)
Sinnoh: DerpApe, Empoleon, Torterra (Blehhh)
Unova: Serperior, Samurott, Emboar (Serperior is only good with DW, and all of these starters are awful in their own ways)
Kalos: Greninja, Delphox, Chesnaught (Greninja is the second best starter ever with DW, Delphox is mediocre and outclassed by Victini for the most part, Chesnaught is pretty awful)

That's just competitively as it stands right now :v
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • WARNING: DORK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:55 »
Well, my opinions are pretty much based on design, moves and capability in battle.

1. Charizard > Venusaur > Blastoise
I always thought Charizard was really a bit overrated before X and Y was released. The two mega Evolutions each have their own advantages; form X just looks incredible. Before this generation however, Venusaur was definitely my least favorite by a long shot. However, the mega Evolution gets Thick Fat, which is a huge middle finger to two of it's weaknesses. As a Poison type, it gets an advantage against the new kids in town, Fairy. The normal form gets the Dream World ability Chlorophyll, making it formidable on a sun team. Finally, Blastoise is left hanging around at the bottom of the list. I wasn't really a huge fan of the design in the first place, and the mega Evolution is nothing but a couple more tank barrels. Sure, Rapid Spin puts Ferrothorn or Skarmory in their place, but that's about it. I also dislike it because a turtle bit me last month.

2. Feraligatr > Typhlosion > Meganium
Like R&B said, the starters for this generation were pretty terrible,none of them really standing out, whether it be design, moves or battle capability. If I had to choose of course, I would choose Feraligatr. Dragon Dance gives it a nice Attack and Speed boost, and with that it can move on to Aqua Jet and Superpower everything in sight. The Dream World ability also gives you a free 1.3X power boost if you use a Life Orb, making it more powerful than it already is.

Oh yeah, the other two starters... They suck in my opinion.

3. Blaziken > Swampert > Sceptile

Again, like R&B said, Blaziken has been sweeping teams since it's Dream World ability was released so easily that it has had to be banned from OU into Ubers, and for good reason. Speed Boost and Protect gives it that speed kick at the start, and it can go on to High Jump Kick and Blaze Kick and Flare Blitz anything and everything in sight. Swampert only gets one weakness (unless you count Freeze Dry) and gets a metric ton of moves. Sceptile was good in generation 3, but since then Blaziken has Blaze Kicked it off the winner's podium.

4: Infernape > Empoleon > Torterra
Say what you like, Infernape remains one of my favorite Fire starters of all time. It's low defenses can be used as an advantage. Since it can faint from virtually any move used, STAB Close Combat's defense stat decreases dont have much effect, and it can still survive with a Focus Sash anyway. It also gets Flare Blitz, which has STAB, huge power but pretty big recoil. The ability Blaze always comes in handy. Surviving with a Focus Sash then dealing a massive suicide attack with Flare Blitz can knock a lot of opponents out, even if they take regular or little damage from it. Iron Fist on the other hand gives a nice 1.2X boost to moves like Thunder Punch, a move that flips off any Flying or Water types. Empoleon, being a Steel type, gets a godlike amount of resistances, along with a massive movepool (get it? Water? Pool? Shut up). Torterra however has nice HP and Defense, along with Leech Seed and Synthesis but it's too slow to be used effectively.

5: Emboar > Serperior > Samurott
Many will disagree with me here, but to me Emboar is the best BY FAR. First off, the design. A huge fire pig with a beard made of fire. Absolutely boss. The movepool. One of the best movepools around, also the only fire type to learn a damaging Water move. Capability in battle? Insane, if you know how to use it right. Emboar is effective as a suicide Pokemon. Giving it a Choice Scarf can out speed many in it's tier and some in the above, and the Reckless ability gives boosts to Flare Blitz, Wild Charge and many others. Serperior's high defenses and speed, along with Substitute and many other annoying stall moves are enough to make a lot of opponents rage quit. Contrary Leaf Storm gets more powerful as it goes along, slowly making it more and more kickass. Samurott doesn't really have much use besides Aqua Jet and Megahorn, to be honest.

6: Greninja > Chesnaught > Delphox
Greninja has got to be my favorite Water type by far. A massive movepool, a cool-as-hell design, a kickass shiny and a great Dream World ability. Add those together and you get a recipe for pure destruction. Greninja's high speed already overtakes a lot of Pokemon, and the Protean ability basically always makes sure it always gets a STAB kick to it's moves. Chesnaught is quite strong, but not as strong as Greninja. Chesnaught's signature move Spiky Shield, protects Chesnaught and deals damage to opponents that make contact, a great trick if you use it at the right time. I was MASSIVELY disappointed with the Fire starter this generation. Delphox has useless stats, a pretty shoddy movepool, bad design and I feel it will be banished to lower tiers in no time, and for good reason.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:50 by A Wild Scrafty »

Needs more Gengar

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 11:16 »
1 - Venusaur > Charizard >>>>>>> Blastoise

Venusaur is really cool - it's a giant dinosaur with a plant on it's back. It's STABs now have pretty good coverage with Earthquake, and it's mega makes subseeding possible. It's one of the few megas that go well on a stall team. Charizard is cool - but I feel it's waaaaay over-rated - everyone knows regular Charizard sucks competitively, and each of it's megas can be outdone in most roles by a non-mega. Blastoise is as ugly as ever, and it's mega is the only mega I dislike atm.

2 - Meganium > Typhlosion > Feraligatr

Meganium is my favourite starter ever, and it has a perfect support movepool. Access to dual-screens and aromatherapy make it pretty cool to use. It's hindered a little by mono-grass typing, but it's not a massive hinderance - at least it's got a resistance to ground. Typhlosion is probably the best competitively here - Choice Scarf eruption wrecks everything if you can keep stealth Rock down - which became a lot easier this gen with defog! Feraligatr is ugly and useless, soooo...

3 - Blaziken > Swampert > Sceptile

Blaziken is too powerful to not be first - although his mega isn't brilliant =/ Swampert is second because I love his shiny, and Sceptile is an ugly tree thing.

4 - Empoleon > Infernaoe > Torterra

Okay, no one can dispute torterra's crapness, but Empoleon is amazing when used effectively. SubPetaya along with torrent gives an absurdly powerful surf (90*STAB*Petaya*Torrent = 313.75 BP) and also agility can be used in this set to double his speed. Infernape is derpy as ever, and looks like an ugly orangutan thing, but it is better than Torterra in battle by far, although imo not as good as Empoleon.

And for the last 2 generations I don't actually like any of the starters final evolutions. They're all pretty ugly =/
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Wolstenholme

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 12:37 »
I: Blastoise > Venusaur > Charizard
It is a well known fact that I find Charizard impossible to train... I don't know why, but I always end up ditching the little poo.
Venusaur is majestic and pimpin' but it just lacks some of the power and fabulousness of Blastoise.

II: Typhlosion > Meganium > Feraligatr
Typhlosion is my baby. - Cyndaquil was the first Pokemon I ever owned.
Meganium is a happy flower dinosaur
Feraligatr is at the bottom because Crocanaw is kind of strange.

III: I don't like any of the gen 3 starters at all.

IV: Empoleon > Torterra > Infernape
Empoleon is a fabulous steel pengiun. It looks cool. It had a good move pool. It is a brilliant typing.
Torterra is a tortoise with a tree on it's back. It evolves from my little baby Grotle.
Infernape feels a bit... middle evo-ish. It doesn't seem big/bulky enough to be a top evolution.

V: Serperior > Emboar > Samurott
I'm basing this purely on design;
Serperior is so good-looking but idk it just doesn't have as good a battling ability as I want.
Emboar looks better than Samurott because what even is Samurott? It looks really wierd imo. So weird that when I originally chose Oshawott I restarted my game after seeing Samurott, so I've never actually used one IG/Competitive ever.
Emboar has a great design but I think it should have been FIR/DRK not FIR/FGT

VI: they're all really decent starters and I couldn't chose between them because imo Chespin is the best starter, Frogadier is the best middle-evo and Delphox is the best top-evo.
They all have really cool typing but I've only used Chesnaught so far... I ditched it.

Offline Volkner

• The Shining, Shocking Star
  • Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 07:20 »
Kanto: Charizard
Johto: Feraligatr
Hoenn: Sceptile
Sinnoh: Infernape
Unova: Serperior
Kalos: Greninja
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 05:41 by Volkner »
"My relationship to Flint? There's no love lost, that's for sure."

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 01:31 »
gen i: charizard=blastoise=venusaur
i love all the 1st gen starters, always have a really tough time choosing which one of these to use

gen ii: typhlosion>feraligatr>meganium
in terms of design and how strong they are and how you canuse them, typhlosion and feraligatr are equal to me, but the spelling tho? feraliGATR? ...

gen 3: sceptile>swampert>>>blaziken
hes uber get him outta here

gen 4: torterra>empoleon>infernape
these were all pretty cool starters too, but torterra has a tree on his back so

gen 5: serperior>>>>>samurott>>>>>>>the dreaded emboar
serperior was good, samurott was awful, and emboar was... nevermind.

gen 6: greninja>delphox>chesnaught
these were all cool too P:

Offline Tahmid ishraque

• Rob Fan
  • Be a pokemon lover!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 10:40 »
Yes, in GEN 3 swampert is the best.......
& blaziken is number 2. ;D

Offline Boo3D

• Ace trainer
  • Pokemon Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 00:58 »

Kanto: Charmander
Johto:  Totodile
Hoenn: Treecko
Sinnoh  Turtwig
Unova: Oshawott
Kalos:  Froakie

I try to keep it evan but water types are awesome.
?B-1

Offline Skyridge1996

• Crank up the heat!
  • Pokemon Fan
  • Favourite Pokémon: Ninetales
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 14:56 »
Well, this is gonna' sound real stupid, cause they're all the Fire except one, but, hear me out.

GEN I - Charizard, because of it's plain badass Mega-Evolution, Mega Y. Drought, coupled w/ Solar Beam and Fire Blast = death, and lots of it.

GEN II - Typhlosion, simply for being my first Pokémon ever.

GEN III - Blaziken, because, holy [CENSORED], Speed Boost Mega Blaziken is ridiculously strong.

GEN IV - Infernape, because Iron Fist + Thunder Punch sorts most of it's weaknesses, and Close Combat is kickass on this thing.

GEN V - Serperior, because Leaf Storm, Contrary, Coil, it's awesome design... the list goes on. Emboar kinda disappointed me. :(

GEN VI - Delphox, dat typing. Protean Greninja is no pushover either.
Fire-Type Master Trainer. Or so I'm told, anyway.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 13:01 »
Gen 1:
Charizard> Blastoise> Venusaur

Sorry leafy dino, but chary is awesome and water turtles are cool as well.

Gen 2:
Meganium> Typhlosion> Feraligatr

I wasn't really impressed with this starter group. So, chikorita was my first pokemon when I was six and my friend gave me Crystal. Then my bro hijacked it before I could start and then beat it. Then I got to gym 8 and it crashed. Typho is a close second, and not because if I put it last, Chloe and my bro would beat the hell out of me.

Gen 3:
Blaziken>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Swampert = Sceptile

Blaziken is awesome, does anything else matter really? His uberness is too good for yOU.

Gen 4:
Empoleon> Torterra>^infinity (Censored by me, this pokemon isn't worthy)

Empoleon was the first pokemon starter I beat the game with. Plus, he's a penguin, my favorite animal, narrowly beating out the tiger. Torterra was my platinum starter, and he's awesome, so hater's gonna hate. Also, if you try to rank derpape anything but last, Richard and I will send our blazikens on you! Kidding. Unless he tells me to

Gen 5:

Samurott> Serperior>> Embore

Bad spelling intended. I wasn't a fan, so IDK why I picked him on Black. Samurott is awesome and so is serperior.

Gen 6:

Greninja> Delphox> Chesnaught

Greninja is hard to predict with his DW ability. Delphox is a beast with high special attack. And that other one, well, IDK what to think of it.

Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 17:03 »
I guess I should give me personal opinion, rather than the competitive ones I listed above:

Charizard > Venusaur > Blastoise

Typhlosion > Feraligatr > Meganium

Blaziken > Swampert > Sceptile

Empoleon > Torterra > Bidoof

Serperior > Emboar > Samurott

Greninja > Delphox > Chesnaught
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 17:11 »
Opinion? Here's mine, but in terms of shiny forms:

Gen I
 - Charizard
 - Blastoise
 - Venusaur

Gen 2
 - Meganium
 - Feraligatr
 - Typhlosion

Gen 3
 - Swampert
 - Blaziken
 - Sceptile

Gen 4
 - Torterra
 - Empoleon
 - Infernape

Gen 5
 - Samurott...not because of it's shiny form...but because it sounds like AN ENGINE REVVING VRROOOOOOOMM
 - Serperior
 - Emboar

Gen VI
 - Greninja
 - Delphox
 - Chesnaught

Those are mostly based on shiny forms...apart from motor-engine ninja aka Samurott.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 17:17 »
Empoleon > Torterra > Bidoof

All I have to say is:

Seems legit.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Volkner

• The Shining, Shocking Star
  • Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 05:41 »
Kanto: Charizard
Johto: Feraligatr
Hoenn: Sceptile
Sinnoh: Infernape
Unova: Serperior
Kalos: Greninja

I updated this. I don't know why I liked Samurott the most, lol.
"My relationship to Flint? There's no love lost, that's for sure."