Author Topic: Pokemon of the Day! Updates regularly!  (Read 8065 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • WARNING: DORK
    • View Profile
Pokemon of the Day! Updates regularly!
« on: November 13, 2013, 20:49 »
HAI. This is a new thing I'm starting up on this thread. Each day I will feature a Pokemon I deem to be amazing in many aspects. Firstly we have, since everyone loves this guy and I just want to get it out of the way...

Blaziken!

Yes, Blaziken. Now, I will be totally honest I did NOT like this guy when I first joined the site. Admittedly I hated it. But now I've grown to like it, and giving it a Mega Evolution just made me love it even more. It's my second favorite fire starter, only coming after Infernape (just because my Infernape wrecked all in Diamond and the metagame. I chose the fire monkey in Diamond and never looked back). Blaziken itself however is full on KICKASS. It has an amazing design as does it's Mega Evolution, it has a godlike move pool and having Speed Boost just brings it over the top. Increasing speed by one stage at the end of every turn? You have yourself a sweeping machine right there.

Blaze Kick, Blaziken's signature move, is also pretty awesome, with decent power and a great animation to it. However getting moves such as Flare Blitz and High Jump Kick give it unlimited power in the battlefield. It was the first Fire / Fighting starter and it always will be. Great design, great mega, great movepool, great ability, what's not to like?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 21:06 by A Wild Scrafty »

Needs more Gengar

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon of the Day! Updates regularly!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 21:05 »
Small gripe - Blaziken doesn't learn close combat, but instead learns the arguably superior High Jump Kick
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Wolstenholme

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 21:07 »
what's not to like?

2 words:

Fire Chicken.

Explanation:

I really want to eat it.

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 21:32 »
Totallly forgot about this. Better get it out of the way before the date rolls over! xP

Pokemon of the day 2 - Scrafty!

Now, I'm not choosing Scrafty just because it's my favorite Pokemon... Okay, that is about most of the reason I selected it truthfully. But I'm not picking it just because it is the gangsta lizard of the desert, Scrafty is also a pretty nice Dragon Dance sweeper.

First, use a Dragon Dance. With boosted EVs, this brings Scrafty up to 354 or something speed, which outspeeds most UU Pokemon, the tier Scrafty is in. Drain Punch has five nice strengths under it's belt and keeps Scrafty's health from whittling down, and the boosted attack can take down a lot. Crunch is another STAB move that also defeats Psychic and Ghost types which Drain Punch won't land a scratch on. Finally, having Ice Punch takes down the overpowered dragons, but replacing it with Poison Jab can negate Scrafty's 4X Fairy weakness.

In UU, Scrafty is undoubtedly an incredible sweeper. In OU however it is a bit harder to survive (especially against Serene Grace Togekiss. Ugh) but with a bit of skill and luck Scrafty can pull through and take down most of the opposing team if used properly. What also helps in OU is that a lot of people completely forget Scrafty is part Dark type and bring out Alakazam, only to take a Crunch in the face.

Pretty badass.

Needs more Gengar

Offline Hoof Hearted

• Rob Fan
  • Swampert is nnniccee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 23:19 »
I would make a rant about your signature, but I guess everyone has their own opinions about certain youtubers.... Anyways, I think this is a really cool idea and I really like the pics you provide as well as the description about why they're are so awesome. I hope you countinue doing this for a while as I'm interested to see the pokemon you choose. If you take suggestions, could you perhaps do Swampert next?

Mr. Apple

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 23:22 »
doesnt rich already have a column doing just this?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 23:27 by king apple »

Offline NTN

• 2010: Role Playing at its finest.
  • Mulholland Fan
  • My precious... >:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 02:08 »
^ That's pretty obvious, but it's a good point.

doesnt rich already have a column doing just this?

Rich and Scarf are two different people. Their opinions aren't necessarily the same. Other people's own opinions about certain Pokemon shouldn't be limited to comments on what Rich has to say about them. Unless it's something obvious, like stats, of course.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 02:39 by Ghost of Kitten »
I am your master.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 02:42 »
For the record, I have nothing against something like this. It's interesting to see what other people think. That said, PotW will be making a return very soon, for those wondering. Keep up the good work, Scrafty :>
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 16:11 »
I didn't exactly know there was another thread just like this Rich, but I'm glad your okay with it. Welp, time for a new one.

Rampardos!

Now, I never actually thought of using Rampardos before. Then I saw that it had a base attack stat of 165, the highest of all Non-Legendary Pokemon. It's a shame that it's other stats really bring it down, banishing it to the Neverused tier.

But in NU it can destroy even the toughest of walls with a massive movepool including Head Smash, Superpower, Earthquake, Crunch and Stealth Rock. However, having a low base speed stat of 58 often brings it down, but that Attack stat can still destroy a lot before eventually going down. Having access to Swords Dance also makes the Attack stat over the top, then using the Mold Breaker ability to take down common Sturdy Stealth Rock Pokemon such as Golem. However, it is common to bring defeated by Aqua Jet or Mach Punch. Too bad it doesn't have Sturdy, or, due to the fact that the Head Smash recoil will eventually kill it after a few turns, Rock Head. Rock Head and Life Orb would make Rampardos overpowered, if used properly.

However, as Rampardos already has access to Sheer Force, giving it a Life Orb negates losing a tenth of it's health with each turn, basically giving it a free 1.3X power boost. Nice.

Needs more Gengar

Offline Kdintranet & Scizau

• Binary Master
  • Sentret Fan
  • 01001011, 01000100
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 18:39 »
Rampardos

I totally forgot about that Pokemon! Ha which back up that it is

banishing it to the Neverused tier.

I love your choices so far. The picture selection is good and the write up is superb. Excellent idea. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see tomorrow.
Avid Poster On Pokemon Academy

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 12:16 »
In honor of the Zweilous I evolved earlier today, this POTD is dedicated to...

Hydreigon!

Hydreigon is based on Hydra, a three headed dragon of... Some myth. I would look it up but I can't be bothered researching it :P

Anyway, yesterday's POTD was Rampardos with a brutal attack stat, Hydreigon on the other hand is a real special attacking sweeper. With a base SP. ATK stat of 125 and a base attack stat of 105, Hydreigon is one of the few pseudo legendaries that is a decent mixed sweeping machine. It can learn a variety of special moves including Hyper Beam, Fire Blast and Surf (which makes it helpful in - game as Surf contains a lot of power and can still be used outside of battle. It works in battle and out.)

The Pokemon itself looks incredible, and has one of the few shinies that is snot green but still looks amazing. The ability Levitate also makes Ground type attacks useless, giving it even more capability on the battlefield. It has definitely deserved it's place in the OU teir, but could be banished to a lower one now that it has a 4X Fairy weakness. However, despite that, it is a reliable and forceful special attacking sweeper capable of giving and taking a lot of powerful hits before fainting.

Needs more Gengar

Wolstenholme

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 12:26 »
In honor of the Zweilous I evolved earlier today, this POTD is dedicated to...

Hydreigon!

Hydreigon is based on Hydra, a three headed dragon of... Some myth. I would look it up but I can't be bothered researching it :P

Greek Mythology.

Good choice, Hydreigon ;)

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 22:05 »
OH MY GOD I ALMOST FORGOT ABOUT THIS. TWO HOURS UNTIL MIDNIGHT, BEST GET THIS OUTTA THE WAY.

Metagross!

With the intelligence of a super computer and the base stats of a tank, it's no surprise Metagross would be POTD at some point.

The signature move Meteor Mash holds a lot of good power but doesn't have reliable accuracy. However it is a unique move that no Pokemon except Metagross and Clefable can learn, so it always finds a spot on the moveset anyway.

It also gets Bullet Punch which gets STAB and priority, not to mention Zen Headbutt for more STAB and power, along with a flinching chance. However, with the new generation six mechanics, Metagross is no longer damaged neutrally by Ghost and Dark, which are now super effective against it. So basically generation 6 has given Metagross two extra weaknesses to have fun with.

It's a shame Metagross didn't get a Mega Evolution.

You know... Megagross?

*ba-dum tss*

Needs more Gengar

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 01:15 »
It's a shame Metagross didn't get a Mega Evolution.

You know... Megagross?

*ba-dum tss*

Bad joke! *Throws tomato*
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 16:29 »
Oh look, I didn't forget this time.

Alakazam!

Alakazam is a must for any OU team. Alakazam, with it's insane Special Attack and Speed stats, can be a huge problem for any opponent. With a wide moveset including Psychic, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball and much more, Alakazam is someone you dont want to face in battle. The ability Magic Guard also protects Alakazam from arena traps such as Stealth Rock or Spikes, but also provides immunity to status effects such as Toxic poisoning or a burn. Magic Guard also means you can give Alakazam a Life Orb and it gets a free 1.3X power boost, without taking any damage. It also means with no arena traps to worry about, a Focus Sash will always work. The latter helps as Alakazam's defensive stats are below average.

The Pokedex states that Alakazam's IQ is over 5,000. Yet it STILL can't learn five moves at one time. Really?

Needs more Gengar