Author Topic: Stopping smoking?  (Read 2636 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
Stopping smoking?
« on: September 02, 2014, 21:06 »
Hey guys, for the past week or so I've been feeling pretty horrible so I've decided that I am going to attempt to stop smoking, or cut down at the very least. It's no good for me, it's too expensive for me right now, I feel out of breath playing sports and I just don't get the enjoyment I used to get out of it. Anybody got any tips to stop? What worked best for you and do you have any experiences?

Cheers for any help you can offer, trying to get back in shape. :)

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Stopping smoking?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 21:51 »
I kinda went cold turkey because of money problems when I quit haha
I wouldn't really recommend that unless you're completely headstrong about it

I guess the best way is to wean yourself off by reducing the amount you're doing each week but honestly, most of it is the mind. How much are you usually smoking a day? If it's not that much then take some time each day to go for a chilled walk, take your phone / music player and some headphones and sort of go into a calm mode. That can surprisingly help.

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
  • I play my games in French sometimes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 21:54 »
Watch the adverts on tv, my mum stopped smoking after she saw an advert where all this white gunk came out of a smokers lungs!

Yuck!  :P

Offline Wrath of Zuruggu

• Sentret Fan
  • Flailing with arrogance since 1990
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART account
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 21:57 »
I'm afraid I have very little to offer (never smoked) but I've known people who have weaned themselves off using e-cigs. These were two long-term (in their 40s/50s) chain smokers tho so they were bound to have difficulty unless they had something similar to continue the habit with.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 22:24 »
Don't think you have to quit smoking for X time, from zero to infinity. Just that you don't have to smoke. Either as an obligation or just "lol I don't have to smoke, so that I can do other stuff!". Setting a time limit, or trying to go too far, are the worst options for such a serious thing. Morover, girls tend not to like kissing those stinky mouths.
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 22:43 »
I have little to give since I can't smoke, nor have I ever done so. However, the e-cig thing is actually a great idea. Even if you're still smoking, it's just water vapor, so it's better for you and those around you.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 00:04 »
as a non-smoker i don't rly have much to help you but my dad smokes a mix of tabacco (he literally puts in the tiniest sliver in to a rollie) and e-cigs and though it sucks he hasn't stopped, his smoker's cough seems to have chilled out a little bit

both my grandparents gave it up pretty much instantly - the whole not buying any and going cold turkey. if you find your hands/mouth needs something, you could try the nicorette mist or gum (though my dad says the mist is nasty as heck so).

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 11:10 »
My grandad quit cold turkey. Because he could.

A friend of mine switched to those e-cigarettes so he wasn't getting the same amount of crap in his lungs. He's a professional drummer and couldn't keep up anymore. He feels much better using them, but eventually wants to get off it fully.

But you have to do what's best for you, different minds and all that.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Wolstenholme

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 12:28 »
My granddad quit by swapping each cigarette for something sweet like (half) a pack of fruit pastilles or something. That seemed to work well for him (he's put on some weight though but I think that's more him getting his 'old-person weight')

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 12:49 »
yell "im a scrub who is bad at sports" whenever you feel a craving so you learn to associate craving a cigarette with embarrassment and shame and no longer want one #toptips

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 19:12 »
 Maybe you could leave an unlit cigarette in your mouth and whenever anyone asks if you need a lighter you could turn to them, look them dead in the eye, and say "it's a metaphor".

I think most of my friends went cold turkey when they stopped. I'll ask and see how they did it.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 21:27 »
Maybe you could leave an unlit cigarette in your mouth and whenever anyone asks if you need a lighter you could turn to them, look them dead in the eye, and say "it's a metaphor".

You had to make that reference didn't you [D

I'd second most of what has been said. Mum herself was (and still is) a smoker, she did cut down though when people around got a little concerned. I would say slowly cutting down will be a good help, but I myself know very little about quitting it, or even smoking in the first place.

E.C.A.M.B.S.

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 21:51 »
My mother's friend quit smoking and started going to gym instead. I'm not a smoker, so I don't know very much, but what I've heard is when you quit smoking, it helps to make a habit out of something else to replace that smoking addiction. I know some people who quit smoking and started eating some more.

Offline Laprabi

• hehehehehehehe
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 21:58 »
Morover, girls tend not to like kissing those stinky mouths.

Depends on the girl, some don't care, some do. If they smoke it's never an issue, but even if they don't smoke they don't always care.

I smoke far too much as it is and I've never really given much serious thought to quitting. A friend of mine when he was cutting down replaced it with coffee of all things; if he wants a smoke, he has a cup of coffee instead. Probably turned him into a caffeine addict, but still smoking is the habit with the most negative social stigma attached to it, caffeine is a more socially acceptable addiction.

hahahahahahaha

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 10:26 »
And you get much more done while on a caffeine buzz.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel