Author Topic: 6th Gen Pokemon of the Week  (Read 30064 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline OpalRhea

• PUK's unofficial psycho writing steampunked Charizard
  • Sentret Fan
  • Credit goes to meta spriters. Shiny Chary is smexy
    • View Profile
Re: 6th Gen Pokemon of the Week
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2014, 15:45 »
but not one with Levitate. that was part of the point

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2014, 21:07 »
keep an eye out, it won't be too far off before we cover our first Pokemon with a Mega Evolution!

And I have a feeling I know who it is! I'm likely wrong, though.

I can't wait for the next issue.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 03:24 »
Sorry for the delay guys, this week I... just completely forgot! I'll have one written up asap! D:
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2014, 05:29 »
Sorry for the delay guys, this week I... just completely forgot! I'll have one written up asap! D:

Now that's an interesting plot twist!
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2014, 13:03 »
Sorry again for the delay! Heliolisk's issue is posted!

I really hope there aren't any typos or anything because I basically spent all night writing this and researching what Heliolisk can actually do because no one actually uses this in any competitive matches I've ever been in, and it's now 7 AM. I am quite ready for bed. My apologies once again.

That said, what do you think about Heliolisk? Is it too late to use a Pokemon that relies so heavily on weather to be effective? Do you wish he'd been around last generation too? Is looking badass enough of a justification to use him in OU? Post below!

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2014, 13:54 »
Well, I recommended some Pokémon some weeks ago just to avoid this analysis. It's hard to see a cool-looking lizard being outclassed like that. Darn, not even in Ubers does well, a tier where Ninjask and Ludicolo felt well. Its bane is being a Special Sweeper with no defences; hence, it is outclassed almost entirely by Jynx, who has a better STAB and Nasty PLOT, as well as the same ability. I am sure most Pursuit Trappers would likely kill it with no mercy, unless some shenanigans are applied.

Solar Power is like driving a Mercedes SL Gullwing; they are for sure some of the best sensations of the world, they are very powerful, but you know for sure you are going to easily die due to your own caprice. And, outside the Sun, Helio won't hurt that badly. The only niche I see for it is as a scout for Jellicent or bulky water types, since Helio does not mind getting burnt (it is going to die soon), usually carries two super-effective hits for it, is WAY faster and has a better beard (or at least Helio says so).

Thanks for your review, Richard.

PS: My requests are either Diggersby, Furfrou or Tyrantrum. Digger has been show to be dangerous if you don't know its item, Doge Furfrouer is as hard as a Hummer (although the Hummer is all-plasticky and cheap) and Tyrantrum can reliably lay rocks AND hit hard enough if given the chance (the problem is, of course, hitting).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 13:57 by Delicious_Scout »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2014, 14:14 »
Delicious_Scout, your posts always make me laugh. In honor of that, one of those three will assuredly be the next PotW article.

After that, I have decided that it's time to branch out a bit! Gen 6 only introduced 69 new Pokemon, not counting event legends; what about the 649 we had before? What are they up to these days? I seem to recall seeing Charizard hovering around OU?! Politoed's usage has fallen? Venomoth is slaying Dragonite?! Keep an eye out for Pokemon of the Week #11, and every one after if you're interested in the state of the current metagame beyond the new Pokemon!

That said, I will still mix in new Pokemon every now and again too, but I'm kind of sick of just doing new mons every week. =P

/flies off to bed

Wolstenholme

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2014, 14:29 »
I'm very pleased to see that Heliolisk hovering around your sig. Looks fab.

Is looking badass enough of a justification to use him in OU?

I think we all know the answer to this question.

(the answer is yes.)

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2014, 17:24 »
I love Heliolisk, but I think the one change that would massively help it is if its base speed was inceased by 3 to 112, outspeeding Base 110's and whichever genie has 111 base speed.

That, and solarbeam xD

I really wish he was better though - why do GF make dinosaurs crappy? (Meganium, Heliolisk, Aurorus and Tyrantrum to extent)
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2014, 18:06 »

I really wish he was better though - why do GF make dinosaurs crappy? (Meganium, Heliolisk, Aurorus and Tyrantrum to extent)

I assume you don't count Tyranitar and Venusaur as Dinosaurs, and that GF =/= Girl Friend but Game Freak. But yes, Tropius is so Under Powered...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 18:54 by Delicious_Scout »

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2014, 00:34 »
I've heard that Charizards are lovely this time of year.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2014, 07:13 »
Speaking of dinosaurs, Tyrantrum's issue is up!

I hope you enjoy this issue, and look forward to next week when we begin discussing older Pokemon as well!

For now, what are your thoughts on Tyrantrum? How do you think he fairs in OU? Is his low Speed too much of a hindrance? Does his current lack of Rock Head make him not worth using? Is Rock Head even superior to Strong Jaw? Tell me what you think! :>

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2014, 10:25 »
On the first set, you've listed Earthquake "almost exclusively to deal with Aegislash", but Crunch has a higher base power on Strong Jaw sets (80*1.5 = 120). I know EQ eases King's Shield prediction, but Crunch has extra power and, although a small benefit, hits Levitate Bronzong and Air Balloon Metagross for SE damage.

Not saying replace it, more slash it.

On a side note, I actually don't run a Dragon move on Strong Jaw Tyrantrum, I find Ice Fang overall more useful, being able to deal with most Dragons Landorus-T and Gliscor better. But I'm weird like that and don't use STABs =P
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2014, 10:55 »
Aye, it's slightly more powerful, but being susceptible to King's Shield makes it a far worse option in my opinion. However, I do see your point, so I will slash it in, thanks!

Aaand yeah, I deliberated on that myself while building sets, but having a Dragon STAB is almost too useful to pass up, given the fantastic neutral coverage it nets. Fairy types aren't common enough to recommend going solo with Rock in terms of STAB. Ice Fang is a great option to deal with those two, however!

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2014, 11:01 »
Of course it had to be the dinosaur. Wanna walk it?

The analysis was what I expected from you, total and utter trash an excellent one; but I think you forgot some things.

For instance, Dick's point (the sky). Although I think any decent player would notice it without any help, it is nice to be written.

And you wrote about Bullet Punch, which bypasses Tyantrum's speed. You were just short about it. Not only Tyrantrum is weak to most powerful Bullet Punches, but also to Mach Punches, Ice Shards and, especially, Vacuum Waves (if one happens to see one in Standard, formulating a wish to it grants your desire).

Ah, bulkier sets. I have seen none, and it gets rocks and Dragon Tail with Stab. Although it is not very common, it can be very annoying if one happens to have removed Scizor and any special attacker some dangerous menaces.

gg