Poll

Why is using not very used Pokémon important?

Because they need love ♥
8 (53.3%)
Because they can be a nasty surprise for the opponent.
5 (33.3%)
They aren't lol.
1 (6.7%)
↑ I think the one who voted for that has no idea on Pokémon.
1 (6.7%)
I am doubting more than Descartes. Give me some more time to think, please.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Unsuspected, "unviable" Niche Pokémon of the Day  (Read 40078 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
Re: Unsuspected, "unviable" Niche Pokémon of the Day
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2014, 01:32 »
Yes, it is today, and going for it now would be a good idea. Thanks to Bread for the quick explanation.

Today, we are meeting a bureaucrat whose composition is manly made of Steel, hence her Steel/Psychic typing. Say hello to… Ten Silver Spoons.

Credit to… me?

Yes, the image might seem weird, but it is easy to explain: a moustacheless Mega Alakazam is holding Ten Silver Spoons, mostly because very few things can hold her might.

Molly/Ten Sliver Spoons is/are (from now on, just "is") not the typical good girl: her outstanding Special Attack, along her "kawai-ness" and Fairy/Fire typing grant her a wide range of opportunities to abuse her friends her moves. Yes, I lied, she is not a Steel/Fairy type. Let's take a look at her stats, and you will know what I mean:

Molly
HP: 101 | Attack: 14 | Defence: 100 | Special Attack: 255 | Special Defence: 100 | Speed: 110

Yes, she does not even lift, but her defences and Speed are usually enough to set up with Nasty Plot, reaching 1338 SpA after a single boost, assuming a Positive Nature with full investment.

Now it is time for us to explore the sets.

H4X Abuser

Molly @ Twisted Spoon
Serious Nature (+Business, -Baka)
EV: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
Ability: Cute Charm

Protect
Encore
Psystrike
Moonblast

This is the Standard Competitive set. Due to the fact Molly is cautious and serious, she will not doubt in using Protect to see what the heck the opponent is trying to do, although the foe will be likely doing stupid things like being fed by a Sunkern. After knowing what is going on, the time to use Encore will be present: with that, Molly will have an easy follow-up, either by Psystrike (powered by the eleventh spoon) or Moonblast, powerful enough to actually drag the Moon to the battle and squash the opponent, dealing both Physical and Special Damage, being this Physically Special.

A Serious nature is chosen because ending nonsensical battles is not a joke, and because one wants to H4X a lot so that those pesky n00bs learn the lesson, Cute Charm is chosen, being able to turn Females into Lesbians and even non-gender Pokémon into loving machines.

The Silence of the Contracts

Molly @ Weakness Policy
Naughty Nature (+PLOT, -Mercy)
EV: 248 Def/12 SpA/248 Def
Ability: Mold Breaker

Nasty Plot
Encore
Sing
Happy Hour

First off, I have to say I am heavily biased because I have suffered the effects of this set on chat. Having said that, this is not, per se, a set hard to understand.

Molly is known as a very kawaii person, but that trait is outclassed by her capacity to make contracts out of nowhere, usually binding the opponent to stupid clauses like Moonwalking on the Sun. What will be next. I don't know, but Nasty Plot is usually what helps her coming up with the clauses of all her contracts. After she has found a victim and a plan, she will be forced to Encore the one who is supposed to sign the contract to actually do it via her charisma or bribes, like a bitten bubble gum. With half of the work done, Molly will force the opponent to Sing (not Sign, but Sing, mostly because Game Freak has not introduced such a move) the contract, often causing the opponent to faint due to vocal fatigue. Maybe the opponent is alive after this Spartan trial: Happy Hour, then, is chosen in order to make them think they live in a happier world, with a chance of giving her money, so that she can buy… I don't know… Cartoon Cereals?

The following spread allows the user to have equilibrated defences for those cases in which a user does not want to be Encored and rudely attacks Molly. Don't worry, though, because Mold Breaker harms their arguments in a second and leads them to think they must sign the contract to apologise. A Naughty Nature is chosen to enhance the results from Nast Plot, and a Weakness Policy is the item of choice to write the contract on or to simply object their complaints.

Exams are Cute

Molly @ Wise Glasses
Mild Nature (+Top %, -Bottom %)
EV: 248 HP/8 SpA/252 Spe
Ability: Analytic

Scratch
Dream Eater
Confide
Substitute

What happens when Molly meets the Physical World? Exams. It is no use worrying about them, though, because Molly has all the necessary tools to be successful with regard that matter.

One might want to begin with a Scratch of the exam: "What the heck is it asking me to do? Good think I procrastinated so that I can use the rest of my movepool!". Yes, you are right, because just doing exams is not fun; one has to live the wild dream. Talking about wild dreams, Dream Eater is chosen in the second slot because it denies the exam and the teacher's hopes to make Molly fail. "Yes, stay wrecked!". Of course it will "stay wrecked", look at this:

8+ SpA Wise Glasses Analytic Molly Dream Eater vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Exam: 35080-41272 (292333.3 - 343933.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Nevertheless, the exam must be completed; Confide provides a means of finishing the exam, and even a bit of banter in form of "Molly was here! May is a loser!" will be fine, because no one will be able to recognise the Exam after the pummelling. If you are simply tired, use a Substitute to do the dirty work; with base 101 in HP and 248 EV in them, the teacher will be unable to demolish the Substitute with just one Seismic Toss, which is basically throwing a desk to the doll.

The following spread ensures Molly can finish as quick as possible while keeping a big chance to fight back in case of shenanigans by the teachers; Analytic, even in such a fast person like her, is useful in case teachers Paralyse you with their excuses like "5 points from Gryffindor", thus countering them with a lot of grace. In order to be trendy and intelligent, Wise Glasses are necessary to ensure the success of this set, as well as posterior dates.

Molly, the Noticed by Senpai Pokémon Clever User. Should you not respect her, the weight of her by-laws might stomp you to death, and they are always a Critical Hit.

So, what do you think about Molly? Why is Sappy not the next user reviewed? More next week!

Schedule:

Monday → Jynx
Tuesday → Nidoking
Wednesday → Rotom-Mow
Thursday → Lapras
Friday → Tropius
Saturday → JSM
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 22:28 by Delicious_Scout »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2014, 23:35 »
(She found it cute. Amusing. But we we will go down to Hell/Antartica and check a worse female of ours.)

Today, we are meeting the stuff of nightmares. Welcome, Jynx!

At least MetaSprite did it right.

Who's living in Africa, dancing and kissing around? An African Jynx, which does not exist, according to Game Freak. Yes, Jynx was one of the first Pokémon to be censored in some way or another; and, due to the cold temperatures that Jynx suffers outside Santa's house, its (her?!) skin has turned purple.

Jynx is one of those Pokémon that has always been there, being able to perform nicely in any tier. In Generation I, it was OU, due to its ability to put opponents to Sleep (with it/her!?), a decent Speed, great STAB Blizzard, and excellent Special, which boosted Psychic (STAB), one of the most spammable moves of the game along the before-mentioned Blizzard. Now it belongs to NU, but, as said before, can work in any tier, not even needing the extensive amount of support other Pokémon like Lilligant or Kabutops do.

Forewarn is not a good ability for Jynx, but its other two, Oblivious and Dry Skin, are what make her so threatening (not taking into account its stats). With Oblivious, it can set up Substitutes, put an opponent to Sleep, or even set up a Nasty Plot if Jynx is gutsy enough to do so, while Dry Skin grants it a Water immunity (with a chance to recover health during Rain) at the cost of being weak(er) to Fire and losing health whenever Sun is up. Talking about stats…

Jynx
HP: 65 | Attack: 50 | Defence: 35 | Special Attack: 115 | Special Defence: 95 | Speed: 95

…they are sufficient to accomplish its duties.

Set time!

ShinyBlaziken's waifu

Jynx @ Leftovers
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Att)
EV: 8 HP/248 SpA/252 Spe
Ability: Dry Skin/Oblivious

Lovely Kiss (no, it is not)
Nasty Plot
Ice Beam/Psyshock
Substitute

"But Martí, why are you telling us to use 8EV in HP?". Because of this:

+6 248 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 274-324 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
+6 252 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 274-324 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

The difference between 248 and 252 EV in Special Attack in case of Psyshock is of 6.3 Percentual Points, from 87.5% to 93.8%, if you are wondering. The damage output is marginal or even null, thus 8 EV in HP allow Jynx to be, overall, a little bit more useful, especially with Ice Beam, while still being able to switch into Stealth Rock five times.

"Why are you calculating at +6?". It is an easy question: Nasty Plot doubles Jynx's Special Attack; this, in conjunction with Lovely Kiss and Substitute, allow Jynx to set up easily, especially with its abilities.

The damaging move is, basically, a "when do I want to switch?", because, depending on the move, Jynx will be walled. Ice Beam allows you to be walled by most Steel Types, in particular Heatran, while Psyshock is Dark-Types' best friend (while still being walled by most Steel Types), but it has a very healthy chance to OHKO Chansey at +6 and it is a very good STAB in OU nowadays, while comfortably 2HKOing at +4, and being close to the 2HKO at +2. It is important to note that Jynx can just use only one damaging move; its support is too valuable to give up, especially Nasty Plot, which turns 2HKOs into OHKOs.

There is not much else to say, but that in Über a bulkier version can be used to team up/against Kyogre (it can even use Focus Blast instead of Substitute with more ease), while in lower tiers it can use Calm Mind or even Trick (with Choice Scarf for better Revenge Killing results).

Jynx, while it can work well alone, prefers to be under Rain or Snow; Rain allows it to set up more Substitutes, while Snow allows it to use Blizzard, being something close to the 2HKO at +4 and a guaranteed 2HKO at +6, but then the rival will know you are likely not running a Psychic STAB. Be careful with Sleep Clause as well, because Jynx might lose its opportunity to reach +6 if it kisses the wrong Pokémon (although Jynx has a fetish for everything…); talking about kisses, they only have a 75% accuracy, and with Jynx's bad Defence, it will often be a "Kill or be Killed". The new Sleep Mechanics do not help either.

Jynx, the Watermelon Gangsta Pokémon. Although it is one of my favourite Pokémon… ugh… I don't even know. Imagine I wrote something decent, okay?

So, how bad is Jynx? Ewww or ugh? Do you like using it? More in the next issue!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 20:36 by Delicious_Scout »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline The Shrub Dragon

• so this one time i put milk in the kettle
  • Joeno Fan
  • uh
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2014, 07:22 »
this article starring delicious scout's vendetta against jynx

thanks gl <3

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2014, 23:45 »
But I like Jynx. Especially as ShinyBlaziken's waifu.

Today, we are presenting a Pokémon whose fanbase is as wide as Charizard's and maringally bigger than Blaziken's (remember that genwunners exist, Oscar/Richard). Say hello to… Nidoking.

MetaSprite. What's not to like?

Nidoking is a socially accepted Pokémon; although it is usually ten centimetres shorter than Danny DeVito, sometimes it can be two metres tall (most of the times when it has been raised and trained since it was a little breeding). But what makes Nidoking "cool" is its semi-unique typing (Poison/Ground), Spikes, the ability to learn a lot of moves, having "king" as the ending of its name, and the fact of being relatively easy to obtain, among others.

Does this trned factor translate into good competitive abilities? Sort of. The only time it has been out of UU is in Generation II, being OU due to Lovely Kiss and sufficient Mixed Coverage. Its usage has not been the reason to be in UU (it is always well-considered), but other Pokémon tend(ed) to outclass it. Until Generation V arrived: instead of Poison Point or Rivalry, Nidoking could use its new ability, Sheer Force, which is one of the best abilities of the game for an offensive Pokémon. Again, what held it back from being OU is its stats distribution:

Nidoking
HP: 81 | Attack: 102 (92 before Generation VI) | Defence: 77 | Special Attack: 85 | Special Defence: 75 | Speed: 85

As with many Pokémon from Generation I, its stats are not terrible, just "too balanced" (if such a concept exists). Knowing most of the movepool Nidoking can abuse of because of Sheer Force is Special is another letdown, but the Attack Boost can also be used with some success. No, don't Choice Band it.

Set time already.

Nidosheer

Nidoking @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Modest/Timid Nature (+Spa/Spe, -Att)
Ability: Sheer Force

Earth Power
Fire Blast
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt/Sludge Wave

Basically, attack until you can. Because this set is pretty self-explanatory, discussing the perks of this Nidoking will be easier. With Maximum Speed and Special Attack, Nidoking hits as hard and gast as it can, potence which might be enhanced by Life Orb, being pretty hard to switch into (only the Blobs known as Blissey and Chansey can), while the Choice Scarf version acts as a hard-hitting revenge killer with excellent coverage. Talking about coverage, everything in OU is hit by, at least, Neutral Coverage with these moves, but the last slot is used to hit some threads for super effective damage or, simply, better results. Togekiss and Clefable will not enjoy a Sludge Wave at all, while Thunderbolt, no matter the Nature, always 2HKOs Gyarados and Slowbro, although Sludge Wave does deal a lot of damage to them.

The reason Modest is the primary nature is because Nidoking does not have many competition in the base 85 Speed tier, especially in OU: either it is outsped or Nidoking outspeeds the threat; the only exception is Regular, Jolly Pinsir, which outspeeds with Jolly: use Timid if you feel lucky enough to challenge Pinsir to a Speed Duel.

Nidoking does appreciate other forms of weather: under Rain, it can use Thunder and even Surf; under Sun, a powered Fire Blast, while decreasing its weakness to Water; under Hail, it can run Blizzard; and, under Sand, it can cause chip damage to the opponent.

A physical Nidoking with 252 Att/4 Def/252 Spe, Adamant, with Sheer Force, and Poison Jab, Rock Slide, Earthquake, and Sucker Punch/Elemental Punch/Megahorn can be used, but Nidoking will usually take recoil damage from Life Orb due to Earthquake, be played around due to Sucker Punch, and be disappointed because the difference of damage between both sets is marginal, even being usually weaker on the physical side; thus, it should be used as a surprise-factor set able to break sturdy Special Walls, but be advised that:

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Poison Jab vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 273-321 (42.5 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

Nidoking, the Truck-Lifter Pokémon. As MC Hammer would state: "U can't touch this", because underestimating its poisonous horns is reason enough to be KOed by it.

So, what do you think about Nidoking? Does its cry remind you of the most awesome thing ever made? How come it can breed, while Nidoqueen and Nidorina can't? Don't miss the following issue!

Offline Raphetty

• Streetpasser Extraordinaire
  • Name Rater Hater
  • 54 Mii Plaza Accomplishments; 924 Plaza Population
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2014, 10:00 »
The only time it has been out of UU is in Generation II, being OU due to Lovely Kiss and sufficient Mixed Coverage.

Oh no, another weird event move warps competitive battling.

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica
Omega Ruby trainer name: Moga ... Alpha Sapphire trainer name: Rosella

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2014, 00:08 »
Yes, and Nidoqueen knows it as well. Horrible things will happen.

Today, we will talk about something as horrifying as a Poliwrath with Lovely Kiss. I present you… Rotom-MoeMow.

MetaSprite has all Rotom formes BUT Rotom-Mow. Preposterous.

Rotom-Moe is kawaii. Deal with it. Rotom-Mow is as annoying as Moe, from "The Simpsons" Rotom, Rotom-F, Rotom-H, Rotom-W, and Rotom-F; a lot. Yes, but Standard Rotom, the formes were all OU because they shared a Unique Electric/Ghost typing, but when Generation V started, their typings changed to Electric/[whatever type the forme is], while the only one who kept in OU (and still is OU) is Rotom-W, which stands for Rotom-Whopper. Rotom-Mow sits as it was in Generation V: in RU. The question is: why?

First off, it has very few (viable) moves, thus making it predictable depending on the team, although one thing is for sure: it does what it is supposed to do very well. With the new immunity to Grass Status (powders) and the good coverage in its dual STAB our Electric/Grass friend has, it can fit in some teams without being a stupid gimmick like Hydro Pump (Shiny) Magikarp.

These are the stats for Rotom-Mow, although keep in mind that any modified Rotom will have the same stats:

Rotom-Mow
HP: 50 | Attack: 65 | Defence: 107 | Special Attack: 105 | Special Defence: 107 | Speed: 86

As with the stats, most Rotoms will use the sets below, but with a few differences and teammates.

There is no need to be upset

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Modest/Timid Nature (+SpA/Spe, -Att)
EV: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Ability: Levitate

Volt Switch
Leaf Storm
Hidden Power Ground/Ice
Trick

Due to the lack of Thunderbolt, a Choice-based item is the best for this set. Volt Switch grants a switch with some damage against unfavourable matches, and most Ground-Types will not like to come and take a Leaf Storm. Leaf Storm is the other reason why a Choice-Based strategy is used: you must hit and run! Trick if, of course, for tricking a wall or tank into a bad item for it. The Hidden Power is, however, another story: it should be used more conservatively, because its power, per se, is not great. Hidden Power Ground eliminates Heatran, which causes a lot of trouble to Rotom-M, while Ice eliminates Dragons. Choose what fits your team the best.

Modest is preferred because it will not outspeed a lot of things, and it will usually outspeed most Rotom-Ws, although they will not want to stay for a long time unless they carry the rare HP Ice. Timid is for an almost-ensured scouting and Rotom-W elimination, and, depending on the item, Rotom-M can break most walls with its good coverage (Specs) or annoy the heck out of everything bar Talonflame (Scarf). 208 EV in Speed can be used to just outspeed fully-invested base Speed 80 Pokémon.

Now it is the time to be upset

Rotom-Mow @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Calm/Bold Nature (+SpD/Def, -Att)
EV: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD or 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Ability: Levitate

Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
Leaf Storm
Pain Split/Rest
Will-O-Wisp

With a typing that mostly lures Special Attackers, a Specially Defensive Rotom-M is not a bad idea, although a Physically Defensive one is acceptable. The first move acts as a solid STAB, but Volt Switch can keep momentum in exchange for power; however, this one is not meant for dealing direct damage. It instead prefers to stay and cause panic, thus, Leaf Storm does not mean Rotom-M will switch immediately because it has other options for annoying the opponent. Pain Split might heal and damage the opponent at the same time, but if you prefer more reliable recovery, then Rest with Chesto Berry is for you; the fact you are immune to Sleep Powder and Spore is a big plus, despite the fact most of its users usually carry HP Fire and/or Sludge Bomb. In those cases, you can burn them with Will-O-Wisp, and then switching with Volt Switch.

If you are concerned about big physical power, even being Calm, use 68 EV in Defence to survive a Close Combat from a Jolly, Life Orb Terrakion, while it can OHKO back with Leaf Storm. And be prepared for Mega Camerupt, because it will likely wall this set.

Rotom-Mow, the bartender Simpson Rustling Pokémon. May the power of the annoyingness compel you!

_________

Yes, I know what you think about Rotom-M; annoying. Fortunately, there will be a next issue tomorrow that will not be about this Pokémon.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 22:29 by Delicious_Scout »

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2014, 23:27 »
Yes, I know. It has been a bad issue. But don't worry, because a better one is coming.

Today, a monster from the past is our main topic. A round of applause for… Lapras.

See? Thanks to MetaSprite, now we can see how Lapras feels about Rotom-M.

Lapras has often been an overlooked Pokémon; the rest of the times it has been simply outclassed. Beginning as an overlooked OU Pokémon (lolwut) in Generation I, it began falling tiers up to now, Generation VI, ending up being an NU, receiving more competence from other Bulky Water Types (BWT).

No matter how many new abilities, fitting items, moves, or improvements in general Lapras got or gets, its competence would never forget our lovely Nessie. Talking about abilities, Water Absorb, Shell Armor, and Hydration are all excellent in such a defensive Pokémon. BUT WAIT! Yes, you heard it right! A Defensive Pokémon! Do you know what typing does it have? Ice/Water, being Ice one of the worst defensive types ever created. At least its stats are decent and well-balanced, like most Generation I Pokémon:

Lapras
HP: 130 | Attack: 85 | Defence: 80 | Special Attack: 85 | Special Defence: 95 | Speed: 60

After thinking during some time... I think I have a middly decent set for Lapras.

1337pras

Lapras @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Att)
EV: 160 HP/4 Def/252 SpA/92 Spe or 88 HP/4 Def/252 SpA/164 Spe
Ability: Water Absorb/Hydration

Hydro Pump
Freeze-Dry
Hidden Power Fire
Thunderbolt/Surf/Psychic/Ancient Power

The idea of this set is simple: die hard hit hard. Hydro Pump and Freeze-Dry are the main STAB, while HP Fire is to maim Superpower Scizor and Ferrothron on the switch and the last move is to either hit with perfect accuracy (Surf) or get extra coverage (Psychic and Ancient Power are the least reliable, but the ones that offer the best overall coverage). With Thunderbolt available, one might question why it should be slashed: Freeze-Dry acts as a pseudo-BoltBeam combination per se, because it already hits Flying Types and Water types for Super Effective damage. Psychic harms Poison and Fighting types (especially the latter) that might want to come in to hit Lapras for super effective damage, while Ancient Power does the same against Pinsir and Talonflame (Talonflame and Pinsir switching into Lapras?!). Sleep Talk gets a mention for being able to absorb Spores or any other Sleeping move.

The EV seem idiotic, but they have a purpose; 160 HP and 4 Def give the best possible overall bulk (although 164 in Def avoid the OHKO from Choice Banded Azumarill). Talking about Azumarill, 92 Spe are used to outspeed all Azumarills that strive to outspeed 0 Speed Skarmory, taking into account the loss of Speed from HP Fire. And 252 in SpA to hit as hard as possible. 164 in Speed can be used to outspeed 0 Speed, neutral-natured Venusaur. Water Absorb is the main ability because it gives Lapras very necessary longevity and a means for Azumarill to just use Play Rough and Knock Off, while Modest to hit as hard as possible. Hydration is very good under rain, especially if you hate being Paralysed.

Take into account that Lapras is the best Pokémon to receive Freeze-Dry, and Lapras is not a brilliant Pokémon. Curse? Dragon Dance + Ice Shard? Lapras can do that, but with (usually) bad results. You can always try to give it even more support than the above-described set, though, and see what happens next.

Lapras, the "qtpi" Pokémon. It's so huggable I'm gonna fluff! Ah, it is dangerous too… but I will hug it anyway ♥~.

So, what do you think about Lapras? Would you cuddle it? Does it look like a legless horse? More during the next issue!

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2014, 02:14 »
10/10 would hug

nice super long ev spread gave me a headache :C

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2014, 23:58 »
10/10 would hug

nice super long ev spread gave me a headache :C

This is because you are glazed and confused.

Today, I am presenting you a born troll. And today's troll is… Trollpius.

Yes, MetaSprite drew the concept art of the first Smugleaf.

It might look cool, but its Stats, along its typing (Grass/Flying) and Abilitites (Chlorofyll, Solar Power, and Harvest) make it a prime candidate for Trollkémon.

Tropius
HP: 99 | Attack: 68 | Defence: 83 | Special Attack: 72 | Special Defence: 87 | Speed: 51

Who gets Dragon Dance and Curse? Tropius. Can it use them? Absolutely not: the former because of its poor Attack and Speed, and the latter because of its not-so-convenient defensive Typing. Ah, and it can learn both moves breeding with a Tyranitar, which is horrifying.

What Pokémon has over 400 HP total after investing 252 EV? Tropius. How many as of base stat? 99, meaning it can NOT create 101 HP Substitutes, thus failing at blocking Chansey's Seismic Tosses.

It has always been an NU; the combination of Stats, Typing, Moves, and Abilities just make fall short.

But it does troll back. I will tell you how.

Trollolopius

Tropius @ Sitrus/Lum Berry
Bold/Calm Nature (+Def/SpD, -Att)
EV: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD (Def and SpD can be switched, or even fully-invested defences for superior mixed capacities, leaving 4 EV to either SpA or HP).
Ability: Harvest

Air Slash
Protect/Toxic/Roost/Giga Drain
Substitute
Leech Seed

Oh, boy, this thing is made for trolling. It can be even worse than Trevenant to take out due to its Flying STAB (which can h4x a lot if your opponent is Paralysed or a Snail), Roost, which can eliminate some of its weaknesses (if used); its neutrality to Dark, better Defences than Trevenant, the ability to use Toxic and Substitute better, and the fact your opponent will die of laughter once they see Tropius on your side. In any event, Air Slash is the ain STAB, and it can deal decent damage and some rage to slow opponents. The second slot can define what you are on about; if choosing Protect or Toxic, an approach similar to Stall will be used, while Giga Drain and Roost are more offensive-oriented (Roost takes advantage of switches, this is why). Substitute, although not having 101 HP, usually provides a sturdy enough barrier able to use Leech Seed or camp for another round of Berry, while heavily annoying the opponent.

160 in Speed might be used to be faster than most Azumarills, which are Adamant with 164 Speed (thankfully, restoring life with Leech Seed and Roost should be enough to finish it one-to-one), while 236 in Speed can be used to Outspeed 0 Speed, Neutral-Natured Venusaur, but it has to be heavily damaged to actually OHKO it:

0 SpA Tropius Air Slash vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 104-126 (28.9 - 35%) -- 7.6% chance to 3HKO

Even if you run HP Fire, Ferrothorn is still a problem that might lead to a long stalling contest, but shorter if it brings Knock Off, thus ending your passive Recovery.

Make sure to choose the right berry with the proper move: for instance, Lum Berry prefers the instant Recovery Tropius gets from Roost, while Protect is a good investment with any berry, but specially for Sitrus if you can hope for Recovery the turn you are protecting yourself.

Oh, and it is "«"Outclassed"»" for a reason; take this into acccount while playing with this Pokémon.

Tropius, the VANANA Pokémon. This one is more Tropical and cuter than Jynx, so what's not to like?

So, what do you think about Tropius? I mean it, because it is very confusing… Don't miss the next issue, which will be about JSM!

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2014, 05:23 »
Just a note for future reference, neutral-nature Mega Venusaur almost never runs 0 Speed. 16 is standard on Defensive, and 20 is standard on Offensive, so the extra EVs given to Tropius and Lapras wouldn't even pay off.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2014, 09:35 »
Yes, I took it into account.

20 (HP Fire) for Modest Venusaur.

Adamant Azumarill usually runs 164 EV in Speed, thus being 177 Speed (to beat uninvested base 61 Speed Pokémon, most notably Tyranitar). An uninvested Mega Venusaur (Modest and HP Fire) reaches 195. So I computed these spreads at my own risk, seeing Mega Venusaur users should not, a priori, invest in Speed, at least to beat Azumarill or base 61.

Going with that margin of Speed would not pay off Lapras and Tropius' offensive and defensive capabilities; too much Speed invested. Why are they too painfully slow, anyway?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 22:20 by Delicious_Scout »

Offline Raphetty

• Streetpasser Extraordinaire
  • Name Rater Hater
  • 54 Mii Plaza Accomplishments; 924 Plaza Population
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2014, 12:18 »
What Pokémon has over 400 HP total after investing 252 EV? Tropius. How many as of base stat? 99, meaning it can NOT create 101 HP Substitutes, thus failing at blocking Chansey's Seismic Tosses.

But at level 50 it can create 51 HP subs, enough to stop 50 HP Seismic Tosses. And most competitive battles on the 3DS are done at level 50.

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica
Omega Ruby trainer name: Moga ... Alpha Sapphire trainer name: Rosella

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2014, 01:35 »
But at level 50 it can create 51 HP subs, enough to stop 50 HP Seismic Tosses. And most competitive battles on the 3DS are done at level 50.

This is a relevant datum! Thank you! Because abosorbing health from that... blob, is one of the best things ever discovered. But…

…today, I present the prince of H4X (much for Richard and I's disgrace), the one who thinks using Meloetta is too risky. And our H4Xor is… JSM/Jamie!

Credit to this guy.

No one is exactly sure how Jamie looks, bar Jamie himself. But one detail is sure: he is groovy -and so Miror B. is, hence the sprite-.

For some reason, he gets the H4X on his side not only in battles or chat, but also in the physical world: he has been gifted an iPad (unlucky h4x) and money (excellent h4x) just for being in his current university. Apart from h4xing, Jamie is known for his advanced Spanish, and, because of that, he is the proud owner of the 696,969th Mitsubishi Pajero produced, because he found clearly fascinating the fact that a person able to speak Spanish riding that car would be the key of life's success, including driving next to a girl driving a Mazda Laputa.

Our favourite Psychic/Electric user's stats are:

JSM
HP: 100 | Attack: 84 | Defence: 100 | Special Attack: 165 | Special Defence: 110 | Speed: 121

Let's set it clear!

Ragequitting Mass Suicide

JSM @ Safety Goggles
Quirky Nature (+WTF, -Loss)
Ability: Wonder Guard

Dark Pulse
Magnet Raise
Blue Flare
Extrasensory

This is Jamie's standard set for competitive battles. Due to his naturally-high Speed, he can easily spam Dark Pulse while flinching the opponent to death. While this might not be enough (remember, Pokémon can come Scarfed), Jamie then can use Magnet Rises to laugh at Choice-Locked Pokémon into a Ground move; with Wonder Guard this should not be hard to accomplish, and more walling and lulz await. Then you can neat a nice burn with Blue Flare, if the opponent actually survives the hit. If the rival has not commited suicided or ragequitted, you can forecast the next event with Extrasensory will making it flinch to death until it turns into ashes.

The following EV are the standard for a troll Sweeper, while Security Googles avoid residual damage from Hail (to Jamie) or Sandstorm (by Darude, which turns to be the end of most stall teams).

Stalkerman

JSM @ Air Balloon
Lax (+Willingness to naturally h4x, -Movement)
EV: 252 HP/128 Def/128 SpD
Ability: Infiltrator

Camouflage
Acupressure
Shadow Force
U-Turn/Volt Switch

Who said that stalking was not fun(ny)? Jamie is the example of why one person should include a stalker AND stalking into their life!

See, it is very easy and entertaining, even ideal for all family members. First off, you must use Camouflage to blend yourself with your surroudings. Oh? Has Alice's day been average? Now you know because you are wearing a trendy leaf-based dress that avoided all kind of suspicions on you! Then, using Acupressure is the next step. You might be wondering: "why?". Because with Acupressure you can achieve a massive boost in any stat, thus granting you more possibilities to either escape or countering with a punch-line. Shadow Force, even uninvested, deals a lot of damage thanks to Acupressure boosts and the punch-lines you have been acquiring through your investigation. Once you have properly stalked and murdered the users, then using U-Turn or Volt Switch for momentum is a very good idea.

The EV grant mixed defences in order to avoid being Mega Kicked by Joeno, Del, or Raven, while Infiltrator assures professional-like stalking.

Developers, developers, developers!

JSM @ Amulet Coin
Relaxed Nature (+Fortune, -Envy)
EV: 252 HP/4 SpA/252 SpD
Ability: Super Luck

Rest
Sleep Talk
Snore
Hyper Beam

Yes, the moves of the set are right, because this is all what Jamie needs. The simplicity of this set will leave you stunned of pure geniality because of Jamie's pervasive perversion charisma and activity.

Rest is the main move of the use; does nothing and regains health, so what's not to like? And, of course, because Jamie is a genius, not taking advantage of his dreams would be a shame; Sleep Talk is used to make your monkey write whatever you say during your lucid reams, thus finishing your dissertation within one single night! (Infernape is not recommended for the task due to severe burns in both the paper and Jamie's skin.) If you want to go one step further, use Snore to even register you most primitive sounds. You would be surprised how little advanced the Kama Sutra was until this genius of science used this set. (This also means trainers hate him) In the last slot, there is the best chance for the future: Hyper Beam. With Hyper Beam, you will basically destroy everything in/on your path. The side effect? Oh, it is actually good, because, meanwhile, Jamie can do nothing.

This set works the best with Super Luck; due to his high SpA, most Universities will be fighting each other to give Jamie some money and goods. The EV spread is to be as Specially-Defensive as possible, avoiding KOs from greedy Hyper Voicers who do not like your h4x.

Jamie, the Wobbamon lucky stalker. There is only one way of actually knowing of him; asking. However, be careful, because it is very likely he will find you before you do.

So, what do you think about Apple Jamie? Should he be banned to Über (human version)? Do you want a free iPad? Why do you want to commit suicide, then? Study hard as he did, then! More next week!

Schedule:

Monday → Regice
Tuesday → Regigigas
Wednesday → Slaking
Thursday → Articuno
Friday → Armaldo
Saturday → Chloe

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2014, 10:03 »
So, what do you think about Molly? Why is Sappy not the next user reviewed? More next week!

Because Sappy is too UBER remember? Mega-Sappy?
Slowly an old member..

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2014, 22:01 »
Because Sappy is too UBER remember? Mega-Sappy?

Nah, you are next. Talking about being the next of something…

… Today, we are covering the remaining of the original Regi trio. Wave "hello" to… Regice.

MetaSprite has a curious perspective regarding Regice.

There is one simple reason why this has been the last original Regi to be covered: it is the worst Regi in today's metagame. They did a good job on making a defensive Ice-Type, but defensive Ice-Types are not good, per se. Its ability (Clear Body, and the unreleased Ice Body), while far from useless, could have been better, and it lacks a very important thing that all four Regis would kill for: reliable recovery. In Regice's case it appears to be very important, since it can take a few Physical blows, strike back with Special ones, and laugh at most Special hits, thus granting it the possibility to be a better tank.

In spite of all of this…

Regice
HP: 80 | Attack: 50 | Defence: 100 | Special Attack: 100 | Special Defence: 200 | Speed: 50

… Regice overall stats, along STAB on Ice Beam, excellent coverage with Thunder(bolt), and rarity can make it a good surprise-factor Pokémon, not to say it forces switches on experienced trainers who know that they should not attack it from the Special side (of the iceberg).

Ehm… I don't even know… (the one with Regigigas will be worse, in any case…)

Laughter bait Icemobile

Regice @ Life Orb
Modest Nature (+ SpA, -Att)
EV: 40 HP/252 SpA/216 Spe
Ability: Clear Body

Rock Poland Polish
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Focus Miss Blast

This is the best way to abuse Regice's currently available ability, and, despite looking stupid, it actually works, especially for what it is meant to outspeed. In particular, 216 EV in Speed reach a total of 190, 380 if doubled by Rock Polish. 380 Speed is a very important number in OU, due to the fact that it outspeeds 232 Speed Jolly Weavile, which tries to outspeed full-speed, Timid Greninja. Being able to outspeed these two Pokémon, Regice can OHKO both of them with Focus Blast and Thunderbolt/Focus Blast 100% of the time (that they hit). A bit below one might find Mega Pinsir and Adamant, Choice Banded Talonflame. Yes, they are a big problem, but thankfully for our cool friend, it has enough bulk to withstand a hit from both of them, but Regice must be VERY WARY of its own recoil, as well as their priority moves:

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Regice: 97-115 (31.1 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 3 layers of Spikes
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Regice: 247-292 (79.4 - 93.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after 2 layers of Spikes
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Regice: 235-277 (75.5 - 89%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after 2 layers of Spikes

Flare Blitz is a clear OHKO. Uncautious Talonflames might like to switch to you, but most Pinsirs will not; and, if they do, they will stay in their regular forme until they can launch a powerful +2 Quick Attack:

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Regice: 195-229 (62.7 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Clear Body ensures you are not slowed down by Sticky Web or affected by dirty stat-reducing hax, which is a neat thing on such a bulky "sweeper". Keep in mind, though, that Mega Manectric will still be able to outspeed you, and outspeeding Mega Manectric is not usually worth the effort due to the drop in power and this:

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 158-188 (50.8 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Regice Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric: 211-250 (75 - 88.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
-2 252 SpA Mega Manectric Volt Switch vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 33-39 (10.6 - 12.5%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock

Yes, as stated by our favourite dDick:

<RubyRobin>: ....no one with a brain cell hits it with a Special Attack xD

Thanks for the explanation, Dickiebird!

Ah, Focus Blast OHKOs all Tyranitars, with the exception being this:

252+ SpA Life Orb Regice Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 354-421 (87.8 - 104.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

As with most Special Attackers that might have shone, Regice is cursed with bad initial Speed, residual damage that hinders its tanking capabilities, and many common weaknesses. For the reasons above, make sure you eliminate any kind of damaging entry hazard when using Regice, either by preventing them from being set up or by Defogging or Rapid Spining them. A defensive approach using Rest + Sleep Talk + Ice Beam + Thunderbolt (Calm or Bold) might be used, but a lot of Pokémon do it better, and there are few Pokémon that can run Regice's attacking set like it does: Lapras must grab its boosts one by one, Avalugg can not increase its Speed, Weavile is very frail, Regirock is physical, Porygon-Z has Normal STAB, &c.

Regice, the Titanic Counter Pokémon. Should you not let it go, your bum will be frozen for life, allowing some princesses to build a snowman up yours.

So, what do you think about Regice? Is RubyRobinXRegice a valid shipping? Do you think Assault Vest is viable with this thing? Don't miss the next article, I swear!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 17:54 by Delicious_Scout »