Author Topic: What do you think of Smash 4?  (Read 13727 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think of Smash 4?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2015, 06:45 »
^That's another reason I didn't like the game. The voice acting for Capt. Falcon made him sound like Gingka from Beyblade Metal Fusion and way younger than what the guy is supposed be. And the computer AI is horribly broken and cheap even on the lowest difficulty level. I mean it took me about an hour to get Marth and yet it was stupid enough to make Wario fall off the stage literally five seconds into the match. I honestly tried to enjoy the game and found many disappointments. I understand not everyone will agree with me but you have to admit that the voice acting for some of the fighters and the AI are pretty bad. And you asked me what I thought about the game and I told you that I did not like it, so why are you acting like I never gave it a chance. I had it for a month and a half before I traded it in because I felt disappointed with it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:52 by Captain Jigglypuff »
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2015, 09:34 »
Falcon's is the same as Brawl, Falco's/Fox's are different.

The AI is dumb as balls, but it's nowhere near horribly broken.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2015, 12:49 »
Is the wii u version okay to play without a gamecube controller? I'm not a competitive player or w/e but from playing since melee i've always prefered the gc controller! The adapters are so expensive right now so it's putting me off getting it until they release more or aren't extortionate. I still have my old gamecube controller so i'm only really needing the adapter and the game.
I only have a wii u gamepad and a wiimote, so would the wii u pro controller be an okay substitute for the time being?

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2015, 15:38 »
The AI isn't even close to broken. I mean i'm horrible with Kirby yet I got to the master core on 9.0 on the DS version. The AI is dumb as balls, and they will make many obvious mistakes, you just have to know when to exploit them.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2015, 17:11 »
It literally took me an hour to get Falco unlocked. And I had the game set on the easiest setting. Most of the computer controlled characters kept blocking and using shields on me on the easiest level setting and then suddenly do random stupid things like jumping off the stage. I am serious here. I would call that broken.

The tables were turned.

Plz Click!

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2015, 17:24 »
^If I remember correctly, they said that the AI would be harder to beat this time (which imo it isn't really). So if it's so impossibly hard to beat, you should be grateful that it jumps off stage, although it's probably not purposely. Plus it's at the lowest level, you should expect it to act stupid like that. Oddly enough, it hasn't done that to me, it has shielded, however.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2015, 06:11 »
Is the wii u version okay to play without a gamecube controller? I'm not a competitive player or w/e but from playing since melee i've always prefered the gc controller! The adapters are so expensive right now so it's putting me off getting it until they release more or aren't extortionate. I still have my old gamecube controller so i'm only really needing the adapter and the game.
I only have a wii u gamepad and a wiimote, so would the wii u pro controller be an okay substitute for the time being?
There is actually a version of the gamecube controller you can plug in via USB instead of having to using the adapter.  The adapter is for people with 4 GCN controllers already (like me) but a Classic Controller is also not a bad idea to use.

A few other things to look into:

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:15 by Lord Raven »

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2015, 10:42 »
^If I remember correctly, they said that the AI would be harder to beat this time (which imo it isn't really). So if it's so impossibly hard to beat, you should be grateful that it jumps off stage, although it's probably not purposely. Plus it's at the lowest level, you should expect it to act stupid like that. Oddly enough, it hasn't done that to me, it has shielded, however.

Well it kept acting random whenever I played the game. I mean one fight it'd be as gifted as a broken iPod, the next it does nothing but Shield and shoving me off the stage constantly and blocking and countering my every move even while set on the easiest game mode.

The tables were turned.

Plz Click!

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 15:08 »
AI is easy, i tore it apart and convinced myself that i might not be half bad, then got my face melted online u.u

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2015, 23:24 »
The AI is relatively adaptive (as it was in Brawl) but it's definitely not broken.  Broken is like Soul Calibur 3 or 4.

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 23:36 »
Well then again, Captain Jigglypuff wouldn't know that because he got rid of it after about a month.

So, anything else you guys think is interesting about the new smash?

Offline Heathcliff

• Pokemon Fan
  • I've got my eye on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2015, 10:38 »
I personally love Duck Hunt, Lil Mac, and Greninja.

Duck Hunt dog has a very decent side smash (side+A; I don't ever play with Final Smash) range, and getting a triple-hit on that can just launch when your opponent has a decent percent. His combos are fantastic--I can pair anything with his Trick Shot to move it along and get a good deal of knockback. Only thing I don't like about him is his down B, since it doesn't ever shoot quickly enough but makes for a fair buffet, and the recovery time after firing the Clay Pigeon.

Lil Mac has bad recovery, especially on that side B fully charged, but the super armor on all his specials make up for that, not to mention his KO meter. When you're too far off FD form though, there's just a hope you can Jolt Haymaker back to the ledge. He's just a flurry of punches though, and I like that power.

I like Greninja mainly because I like Shadow Sneak. I like being able to control my warp. It's especially great for double or even triple KOs in a group smash, when everyone is preoccupied with fighting each other close-range and I slide in for the kill.

Other characters that I admire but have never really made a point to play often: Villager, Shiek, Shulk, Robin, Palutena, Rosalina

The Villager appears very versatile. He's a moderate float already so his double jump is high, if you're off the edge of the screen you can ride Llyod a good distance, then dismount and ride balloons with his up B. I find that to be great recovery. I can't say much because I don't like to float, so I've observed him way more than I've played him. I also like his whole down B system. I think it's creative, but I suppose online competitively it could be a time-waster for a very calculated knockback.

Sheik appears to be faster now. Maybe I never noticed this, but her Needles travel very far, practically the length of the map in FD form. Her down aerial and down B (if the arch is calculated properly) make for great edge guarding.

Shulk's Monado Arts really make it for him. Using each one properly makes him a formidable opponent. Only thing I don't like is Shulk's side smash delay, where I have to wait for the blade of the sword to extend to deal damage, leaving me open for a second when I prefer my smash to be instant when not charged. Or so that's what I gathered when I briefly fought with him.

Robin's down B is real useful. I like that wind meteor strike and it looks like it could make for a mean edge guard. I don't like his side B though, because unlike Ness' PK Fire where it shoots horizontally a distance until it goes off itself or hits a target, Robin blasts his fire magic at a downward angle, so it would take some positioning on my part. His healing down B is a clever dual-action, though.

Palutena has two defensive moves in her arsenal, her Counter and her Reflect. I'm not sure if that's unusual, but it sure is to me. Her Autoreticle (sp?) is pretty spot-on 1v1 as far as I can tell, but since it auto-targets the closest thing and doesn't fire when blocked by obstacles, playing a group and/or on normal stages could make it a bother for me. I like the vertical range of her up smash, though.

Rosalina and her star buddy are the next Ice Climbers, I take it. I think anyone who can manage to volley foes between two characters they themselves control has my regards.

The only character I don't like, both playing and playing against, is Jigglypuff. When that Rest hits you at a certain percentage, it's absolutely over and that's just cheap. It makes Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch look tame.

That's about all I have to say. I'm only "competitive" with my friends, so anything online is out of the question since even I can defeat the CPU on level 9 with my main. It's way different than fighting people who have been playing for years.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:43 by Heathcliff »

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2015, 21:40 »
Only thing I don't like about him is his down B, since it doesn't ever shoot quickly enough but makes for a fair buffet, and the recovery time after firing the Clay Pigeon.
I think his down b might explode the can from a distance as well. So that could be useful in making setups, but I agree it's a little situational.

Shulk's Monado Arts really make it for him. Using each one properly makes him a formidable opponent. Only thing I don't like is Shulk's side smash delay, where I have to wait for the blade of the sword to extend to deal damage, leaving me open for a second when I prefer my smash to be instant when not charged. Or so that's what I gathered when I briefly fought with him.
The main part of the blade still has an instant hit box. In fact, I think if you get them with that red part of the Monado they'll be put into hitstun until the laser shoots out.

Monado arts are great. Open up with Speed or buster depending on the weight on your opponent, then proceed to rack up damage. Switch to smash to knock them off the stage, jump to finish them off with a nice edge-guard and then shield when they respawn so you can safely continue racking up damage. That's generally my flow when I use Shulk.

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2015, 21:48 »
My favorite new character is Duck Hunt and the amount of stupidly crazy Trick Shot KO's i've gotten is insane. Plus clay pidgon spam on a slow big character is fun. About the gunman setting off the can from far away.... I'll have to test that. Sounds pretty interesting.

Edit: It doesn't set it off from far away, but it blasts the can up farther.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 21:58 by ShinyBlaziken2000 »

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • WARNING: DORK
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2015, 19:50 »
I've been playing SSB4 way too much recently, maining as Lucario, Meta Knight or the Mii Brawler.

So far, this game is kickass. The solo games are amazing, playing with friends is amazing, I kind of have a love-hate relationship with Smash Runs because they're fun but OH MY GOD THE FRICKIN METROID -

ANGRY SCREAMING

- Ahem -

But yeah, I already love this game. I'm pretty naff at it, can't use most of the characters, but with the Mii Brawler I actually leave a scratch on the opponent.

Even though Meta Knight got nerfed, he's still powerful when you get used to all the weaknesses Nintendo gave him. I do wish the old version of Shuttle Loop though. It was fun to glide, even if I never used it tactically but just for a bit of style.

Needs more Gengar