Poll

Who do you think is the best doctor who of all time?

William Hartnell
2 (2.6%)
Patrick Troughton
1 (1.3%)
Jon Pertwee
1 (1.3%)
Tom Baker
4 (5.2%)
Peter Davison
0 (0%)
Colin Baker
1 (1.3%)
Sylvester McCoy
2 (2.6%)
Paul McGann
2 (2.6%)
Christopher Eccleston
15 (19.5%)
David Tennant
32 (41.6%)
Matt Smith
17 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 283876 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Winston Payne

• A Real Nowhere Man
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • There I will go.
    • View Profile
    • Covered Wars, Allegedly.
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #570 on: November 27, 2007, 21:46 »
I say keep Rose back in her parallel world. I mean, she was alright, but what is it with some people and the obsession with her? The Doctor always changes companions, whether people like it or not. What's the point of trying to bring her back?

My personal studies of Rose obsessors has led me to this...
They are seperated into different categories.

A) ZOMGDOCTORWHOR00LSMARTHASUXKEEPROSE! Category. Usually the members of cet category have only seen Doctor Who since the season with Christopher Eccleston in it (for the purpose of this analysis, let's call it season one.) Ergo, Rose is their first known companion and when she was axed- pfft...Fallout time. Plus I don't think that the romantic aspect presented by the writers helped much there. I'm not saying that the writing in general is poor, just that the romantic aspect was more visual and dramatic than classic series.
Also, the members of this category seem to be extremely Anti-Martha. Whether it's their purist belief to have just Rose as The Doctor's companion, or that they are Racist, is yet to be uncovered. Just joking about that previous comment there folks. Don't be alarmed or offended. They might also be offended by the Fact that Martha is more independent and smart than Rose. Rose had her moments, but Martha had more.

B) The "I've seen the classic series, but I prefer Rose to Martha anyday" Category.
They have an opinon and has seen and understood the old series companion theorem. But again, the presentation of Rose by the writers seems to have 'clicked' more into their taste than the classic episodes.

Anyway, the above is my two pennies on the Rose V. Martha situation, and is not representable to the world and it's subsidiaries.

Offline Latias Tamer

• WOCNWORBWONWO
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 27, 2007, 22:09 »
I gotta agree with you here. I don't see why the needed to bring her back, especially now. The fact that there will be 2 others with Doctor makes it seem like a bit of a weird time to bring her back, but also it defeats the point of the 'dramatic and (as Rose fans call it) heartbreaking' finish to series 2. The original episdoes didn't really concentrate on the relatiohship between the Doctor and companion, but just that she helped him out...
Yes.

Offline Winston Payne

• A Real Nowhere Man
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • There I will go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 27, 2007, 22:26 »
The original episdoes didn't really concentrate on the relatiohship between the Doctor and companion, but just that she helped him out...

Exactly. It just seems that nowadays every TV serial has to be 'sexed' up or involve romantic relationships that either succeed or fail. I think that companions should be just that- companions. Not romantic interests. But it's the fad these days. Love, romance and tradgedy. Oh what happened to cynicism, logic and intelligence?

Offline Sebastian Moran

• ᕦ(ಠ益ಠ)ᕤ Tries too hard
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Fan
  • the pride of roast britain
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 27, 2007, 23:31 »
Maybe that's why I like Martha more out of these new 'uns... as there's not this whole OMGTROOLUV thing going on... which to be honest bores me. 
Or maybe she's just less pink tracksuit. 

be humble,
for you are
made of earth.

be noble,
for you are
made of stars.

Danse_Maxavarious

« Reply #574 on: November 28, 2007, 00:35 »
I gotta agree with you here. I don't see why the needed to bring her back, especially now. The fact that there will be 2 others with Doctor makes it seem like a bit of a weird time to bring her back, but also it defeats the point of the 'dramatic and (as Rose fans call it) heartbreaking' finish to series 2. The original episdoes didn't really concentrate on the relatiohship between the Doctor and companion, but just that she helped him out...

As far as I know, they are only bringing Rose back for a few episodes - probably to lead up to Martha returning. But the Doctor having more than one companion is not so unusual Davidson & Troughton definitely had multiple companions.. the same for Pertwee & the good Baker did as well (it's late I'm afraid don't noob me if I'm wrong).

I've been watching Doctor Who since the Troughton days and if anything I think the level of writing has decreased, while the visuals have increased.

Though, while I agree the 'love' story added in to the newer series is annoying (don't forget people that Martha has a crush on the Doc'), I can see why they put it in - to concentrate more on character than previous series.

Exactly. It just seems that nowadays every TV serial has to be 'sexed' up or involve romantic relationships that either succeed or fail. I think that companions should be just that- companions. Not romantic interests. But it's the fad these days. Love, romance and tradgedy. Oh what happened to cynicism, logic and intelligence?

Ratings.. *sigh* everything loses to ratings. About time we had another companion die eh? The first time that happened shocked me, but if Rose comes back & dies it'll kae up for Tennant as the Doctor.

Offline Voltorb2005

• I need anger management! ARRRRRGGGHHH! *Breaks your computer in half*
  • Joeno Fan
  • Sooo.... Bored....
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 28, 2007, 20:04 »
Was watching the first ever episode again last night and made me realise that nothing can ever beat the original doctor who. I just love the 60s episodes. I do like the new ones very much and I'm glad they brought it back, but I remain faithful to the B&W episodes, of which were some amazing storylines, sound effects, actors and villians/monsters before they had loads of crap in the 80s. Even now, the listed things cannot, for me, outdo the originals.

Examples of amazing episodes are The Invasion and The Tomb of the Cybermen. Infact, the Invasion has such a good storyline, someone quoted on the DVD extras that the story would have worked just as well even if they didn't have the cybermen in it.

Name: Charmander
I luv voltorbs!

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #576 on: November 28, 2007, 20:18 »
Saw Destiny of the Daleks today. Very good. =D

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

allcroftadam

« Reply #577 on: November 29, 2007, 06:59 »
My mum watched the Old Doctor Who when she was babysitting. It scared the kid she was babysitting. The kid is now working at netto, Sealing boxes

Danse_Maxavarious

« Reply #578 on: November 29, 2007, 22:53 »
The official Doctor Who website has now confirmed that Rose will be returning - but has told us not to believe any earlier reports of for how long.

The previous source was the BBC News website!!!  Something tells me there may have been a change of scripte recently and someone wasn't informed... please.. kill off Rose perminently!!  >:D

Offline Winston Payne

• A Real Nowhere Man
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • There I will go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 30, 2007, 10:25 »
I think that the writers are jumping the shark now- instead of thinking up brilliant new stories, themes and characters, they have to bring old ones back to appease fans- well, some fans.

I'm not doubting that they won't be able to create some fantastic stories, but what they should do is just leave Rose where she is- She can't just be trapped in a parallel universe which has been sealed off, then suddenly she returns- it's stupid. Just leave Rose where she is and make the Doctor get over it. What happened to the crochety 600 year old man we used to love?

allcroftadam

« Reply #580 on: November 30, 2007, 18:47 »
I think that the writers are jumping the shark now- instead of thinking up brilliant new stories, themes and characters, they have to bring old ones back to appease fans- well, some fans.

I'm not doubting that they won't be able to create some fantastic stories, but what they should do is just leave Rose where she is- She can't just be trapped in a parallel universe which has been sealed off, then suddenly she returns- it's stupid. Just leave Rose where she is and make the Doctor get over it. What happened to the crochety 600 year old man we used to love?
He's 900. I only got into Doctor Who in he 3rd series. So I don't know wthat Rose is like. :'(

Offline Winston Payne

• A Real Nowhere Man
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • There I will go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 30, 2007, 22:27 »
He's 900.
*nervous laugh* I knew that- >> << *clutches chloroform bottle*

I only got into Doctor Who in he 3rd series. So I don't know what Rose is like. :'(

Well she was enamoured with the Doctor, Vice Versa, although she was strong willed and minded in many stories, she still ended up crying for the Doctor and such. She playfully teased the Doctor, in a sickening teens-in-love way.

In my opinion, Martha is better as a companion. She's an intellectual equal for the Doctor, and is not too exorborant in wanting a romantic relationship.

Danse_Maxavarious

« Reply #582 on: November 30, 2007, 23:57 »
He's 900. I only got into Doctor Who in he 3rd series. So I don't know wthat Rose is like. :'(

Be fair to the man, in the original series tended to lie about his age or he'd have a few adventures on his own  & then come back to the same time, looking the same but clocking up a hundred years or so in the meantime. I'm prety sure he was giving off the age 600 for a while.

While I agree bring too many old characters back is ridiculous - and that Rose should stay where she is (unless she wants to be KILLED off this time), the one old enemy per series quota they've had since the Doctor came back is actually quite good & healthy. It's getting the newer fans to look at older episodes to see what they were like. Back when the scripts were good.

Offline The Penguin Vampire

• Hello there :)
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
    • My facebook, thats if you wish to know me more
« Reply #583 on: December 01, 2007, 09:16 »
although we're meant to be be getting the humanoid clone thingys (sonairtrans(sp?)) AND Davros arn't we
"If too live, we have to be numb, I'd rather know the pain, I'd rather know"
"We are made Imperfect and we must guard against our flaws lest they destroy us"

Offline Bestie563

• Bestie
  • Rex Fan
  • I think i fell off a cliff
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 01, 2007, 21:51 »
i can't believe we have to wait until 2009 until the next series

rose sucks martha is ok