Author Topic: Getting ready for the tournament...  (Read 1173 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline vader31

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
Getting ready for the tournament...
« on: February 11, 2015, 16:40 »
I have a few pokemon I wanna try for the tournament this month and I wanna get some feedback on them. Not sure which should hold a mega stone and which shouldn't or what they should carry otherwise. Trying to put the best 6 possible. Don't really wanna use too many legendaries. I don't like that strategy, they're powerful already and to win with them almost seems cheap. Maybe I'm just crazy but...

(after the nature I put which attribute I maxed out on Super Training such as "Attacker + Speed")

Mewtwo (Cain) @ Mewtwonite-Y
Pressure
Gentle
Special Attacker + Speed
Psystrike, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, & Ice Beam

Deoxys (Abel) @ ???
Pressure
Careful
Special Attacker + Speed
Psycho Boost, Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, & Dark Pulse

Lucario (Lobo) @ Lucarionite
Steadfast
Brave
Attacker + Speed
Close Combat, Blaze Kick, Bullet Punch, & Extreme Speed

Tyranitar (Godzilla) @ Tyranitartite
Sand Stream
Modest
Attacker + Speed
Stone Edge, Crunch, Earthquake, Ice Fang

Garchomp (Jaws) @ Garchompite
Sand Veil
Adamant
Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Stone Edge, & Fire Fang

Swampert (Maverick) @ Swampertite
Torrent
Brave
Attacker + Speed
Waterfall, Earthquake, Avalanche, Curse

Blastoise (Gamera) @ Blastoiseinite
Rain Dish
Bold
Special Attacker + Speed
Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, & Rain Dance

Zangoose (Logan) @ Toxic Orb
Toxic Boost
Naughty
Attacker + Speed
Facade, Crush Claw, Swords Dance, & Quick Attack

The goal is to hit first and hit hard. OHKO's when possible. I have a thread about a Flying Team here as well where there are some more I put out there. Just wanna get the best 6 possible. Any thoughts???

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
Re: Getting ready for the tournament...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 16:49 »
One of the main problems you have here is that pretty much all of your Pokémon are holding their mega items. You can only mega evolve once per battle which will leave the rest of your team essentially without an item! I think a better strategy would be to pick one or two megas and build your team around them. Pokémon such as Garchomp and Tyranitar are perfectly fine without a mega item and could use cool items such as life orb, leftovers, choice scarf... etc.

Also, which tournement is this for? I haven't played the games in a while but usually there are restrictions on using legendaries which wouldn't allow you to bring Mewtwo and Deoxys...

You might want to reconsider the Pokémon you are using because of their natures, too. For example, your Tyranitar is a strong physical attacker, but he has a Modest nature. Modest puts down his attack stat, which will make him less strong. Perhaps try to re-breed a new Tyranitar with a nature that is beneficial towards his attacking stat? This problem of redundancy is also found in Lucario, who is trained in speed but Brave nature, which reduces his speed (reducing natures take away around 10% of your stat or something like that, so the difference in speed, power or defence becomes noticable when battling in tournement where players use their best Pokémon). :)

Offline vader31

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 16:53 »
The Battle for Hoenn starts February 27th and allows a limited amount of legendaries (those found in X&Y and ORAS). I understand the natures are off on some but I am trying to go with the best of what I have. Which pokemon were good in your eyes???

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 18:03 »
Here's a way I use Garchomp that you may see some success with:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake / Stone Edge

If someone makes the mistake of using a physical attack then the combo of Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet will drain their health like crazy. Dragon Tail to force switches, and EQ as a main damage dealer. When he starts to get worn down, just spam RestTalk until he can go back to Dragon Tail and Earthquake.

I've only just recently gotten back into doing competitive, and I'd say keep Mewtwo, Deoxys, Lucario, Swampert, and Garchomp. While you're going for all out offense, I would suggest adding a Clefable to your team if possible.

This is the Clefable I've been using on a more offensive team:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

You're gonna need to find some new items. I'm unfortunately 100% clueless when it comes to legendaries, because save a couple, I've never used them in a real battle. If there's no bans on mega-lucario, that might be a good choice to use for your mega evolution. You should really put Iron Tail on him, maybe instead of Blaze Kick, because of STAB damage as well as taking care of the danger a lot of fairy types have.

To clarify, you're not willing to do any breeding at all?

Offline vader31

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 18:25 »
Not against breeding for specific natures but I have put alot of time in Super Training the best ones I had in order to make them "battle ready". I have another thread going on this page about a Flying Type Team and you can look at those too. Just wanna put my best 6 together to have a chance really. I have a Clefable, not sure of the nature or ability, I'll check it out. If you check the other thread, look at the Dragonite. It's a beast

Offline Raphetty

• Streetpasser Extraordinaire
  • Name Rater Hater
  • 54 Mii Plaza Accomplishments; 924 Plaza Population
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 19:00 »
The Battle of Hoenn rules state:

"Players may use Pokémon found only in the Hoenn Pokédex of Pokémon Omega Ruby or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, excluding Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, and Deoxys."

So all the Pokémon you listed except Swampert and Zangoose would not be allowed.

If you mean the new competition called "2015 International Challenge", the following Pokémon are banned, as is usual with Nintendo competitions:  Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, and Diancie. Also it's double battles and pick 4 out of your 6.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 19:15 by Raphetty »

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica
Omega Ruby trainer name: Moga ... Alpha Sapphire trainer name: Rosella

Offline vader31

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 19:11 »
oops...generation showdown. :ohmy: