Poll

Who do you think is the best doctor who of all time?

William Hartnell
2 (2.6%)
Patrick Troughton
1 (1.3%)
Jon Pertwee
1 (1.3%)
Tom Baker
4 (5.2%)
Peter Davison
0 (0%)
Colin Baker
1 (1.3%)
Sylvester McCoy
2 (2.6%)
Paul McGann
2 (2.6%)
Christopher Eccleston
15 (19.5%)
David Tennant
32 (41.6%)
Matt Smith
17 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 283879 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1905 on: April 24, 2011, 00:46 »
Well Matt Corden has been confirmed as returning in the same role, so...

I really liked that episode. For me, that's what Doctor Who's all about. Immensely tense plots, clever paradoxes, freaky enemies.

However, a couple of weird things...

River Song references maybe someday meeting The Doctor when he won't know who she is. This references Silence in the Library. Silence. In the library.

And then you have an astronaut wandering round all freaky? Just like in Silence in the Library?

Dunno. Just seems cool/weird.

I really liked it. CAnnot wait for next week. ^__^

Edit by Kay - tag fixing ^^
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 13:28 by Dragonpika »

Offline Snagprophet

• Electric Master
  • Sentret Fan
  • Shocking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: April 24, 2011, 00:56 »
Once again Steven Moffat has given us something different, but I did feel I had to wait for the plot to start, but it was fine once it did. I loved our perspective being different from the Doctor's, all-knowing about his 'fate', it kind of reverses the idea from The Waters of Mars where we were in his head and knew everyone else's 'fate'.

Some very slight differences, but on the whole they do seem to be the same. Compare The Lodger to The Impossible Astronaut.

The control room style reminds me of the TARDIS from the film with those pillars stretched over the control terminal like a hand. I think it may be the same style ship, if not the same, as they both respond by touching those round bumps (Dalek controls?).

I think it has to be significantly related to the one from The Lodger because it just happened that the Doctor wasn't among those going into it in The Impossible Astronaut. So River and Rory won't realise something because they haven't seen it before.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:12 by Snagprophet »

Offline Specstile

• The Hoenn and Grass type fanatic!
  • Poképprentice Runner-up
  • Sentret Fan
  • Come At Me Bro
    • View Profile
    • FaceBook, only addy if i know you D:
« Reply #1907 on: April 24, 2011, 03:10 »
Omg what if that alien creepy thing has actualy made her pregnant and she gives birth to one of those things.

Y FC:0344-9270-9498

Offline Danse Macabre ( 6,6)

• YGO & Pokemon Veteran
  • Joeno Fan
  • The Old Hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: April 24, 2011, 03:35 »
I was very dissapointed by todays new episode, partially by the terrible & predictable ending inwhich Amy shoots at the 'astronaut' inorder to protect the Doctor (it was signposted a mile off)... but also due to shoe-horning in all the characters saying "Doctor Who" by "accident". I may be wrong, but this feels like a concession to BBC America & the US audience.

Once Peter Griffin mocked films that reference their own names while aping the mentality of a 5 year old, it became dangerous  to do it anyway unless cleverly deployed. Which it wasn't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA8OOJjjvjU

I have also (somehow) started to like Matt Smith as the Doctor even less, rather than developing the role and finally working out his nuances and tones... he seems to be portraying him as a spoilt teenager that talks funny. Whereas Tennant, Eccleston and most previous Doctors manage to really make you feel the Doctors age (see School Reunion inwhich Tennant finally clicks into the role) Smith seems more at home reading the script in a stumbling tone.

ANYWAY, the reappearance of the strange Tardis-like structure is intriguing and so are the new 'grey' like aliens and their memory manipulation powers. Also, as mentioned already I LOVED the (clunky) exposition about River about travelling in opposite directions... it brought a tear to my eye when I remembered how River kinda-dies.

All in all I personally see it as  a faltering but retrievable start. Good monsters and idea, but let down by the regulars. Also... isn't the Tardis' cloak part of the Chameleon Circuit as per Classic Who? Or are we ignoring this for throw-away plot purposes?  ;D
Internet celebrity in the making Danté Solablood! For all your Minecraft LP needs go to: http://www.youtube.com/user/KamenDev

Offline 1794mew

• Im #027 Sandshrew in the Puk crew version 3. "If the world chooses to become my enemy, I will fight like I always have."
  • Joeno Fan
  • Awww Ain't He Cute *Huggles* Thanks Lorem
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Realm
« Reply #1909 on: April 24, 2011, 12:12 »
The BBC really shot themselves in the foot with that one, I loved the episode but they killed the doctor in his current regeneration, and already explained if they prevent that they create a paradox, so if Matt Smith ever wants to leave the show they will have quiet a few continuity issues.
Thanks Catstorm
[Sig under creation]

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: April 24, 2011, 12:22 »
crack theory 

could the young girl be River? 
River has darker skin than the baby.
Some very slight differences, but on the whole they do seem to be the same. Compare The Lodger to The Impossible Astronaut.
Slight differences figure. The thing might have to update it a bit.
Lolwut at "The Silent" speaking to Amy.

Offline Ammish

• Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: April 24, 2011, 12:26 »
The BBC really shot themselves in the foot with that one, I loved the episode but they killed the doctor in his current regeneration, and already explained if they prevent that they create a paradox, so if Matt Smith ever wants to leave the show they will have quiet a few continuity issues.

That hasn't stopped Russell T Davies and I doubt that will stop Steven Moffat either (Though I hope Steven pulls out a good explanation for it).

I can think of two ways. Either they will create a paradox, but there will be a way to rectify the paradox and save the Doctor. Or they planning to end the series for good.

Anyway, my impression: I love the new episode and as always, Matt Smith is always on form. I also love the new species, The Silence (inb4 'What's that?'). And River Song is still as sexy as always <3

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #1912 on: April 24, 2011, 14:39 »
Has a 7th Series and/or Xmas special for this year even been confirmed yet? 0.o

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

Offline Ammish

• Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: April 24, 2011, 14:58 »
Has a 7th Series and/or Xmas special for this year even been confirmed yet? 0.o

Zilch. All we know is that Matt Smith has signed on for two series (Series 5 and 6) and there has been no hint whatsoever to its future afterwards.

Offline The Librarian

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: April 24, 2011, 15:02 »
Considering how popular Doctor Who is, I can't honestly see them not making another Christmas Special and Series 7. Plus, I'm sure I read somewhere that Matt Smith is wanting to stay on as The Doctor until at least 2013; the 50th anniversary of the show.

On another note:

SPOILERS

Apparently Ian McNeice is returning as Winston Churchill in the finale of Series 6.
"SOME PEOPLE WILL DO ANYTHING FOR THE SHEER FASCINATION OF DOING IT, said Death. OR FOR FAME. OR BECAUSE THEY SHOULDN'T."

Offline Latias Tamer

• WOCNWORBWONWO
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: April 24, 2011, 23:50 »
The Silence's appearance in The Lodger: Well you know Moffat was saying about how there's past references that fans have missed in previous episodes? Well if you re-watch The Lodger, the alien form of the Silence that we saw in Saturday's episode make several appearances in the TARDIS, although it is off screen...

Re-watch The Lodger, but focus on Amy's lines and Amy's actions. There are various occasions throughout the episode, where it's clear that she see's something, but then forget's about it, as was experienced in Saturday's episode with the Silence. She's constantly looking at something the other side of the camera. If you go to 13-14 mins-ish, Amy shouts 'Hey!' at something behind the camera...then again at 21-22 mins-ish, she gasps, acting shocked and looking at something off shot and then again says 'Hey! Hang on!'...but then has a bit of a moment and ignores it as if it was nothing. Clearly this is the Silence, as she just keeps forgetting about it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 00:13 by Latias Tamer »
Yes.

Offline Sebastian Moran

• ᕦ(ಠ益ಠ)ᕤ Tries too hard
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Fan
  • the pride of roast britain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: April 24, 2011, 23:57 »
Aah, that's interesting. So the console thing maybe is the same one? Or supposed to be, anyway: similar design from the same race perhaps. attempt to build a TARDIS, was it? 
Doesn't the Doctor drink and spit out wine in that episode? Or attempt to. Because I want to find the most rubbish thing that appears in both episodes. But when he was drinking it in series 6 I vaguely remembered. Somehow. 

I may have to rewatch the Lodger just for the sake of it. I mean, to look for connections. 
Not just a comic relief episode but in fact relevant to Death and Astronauts, how thrilling 

River has darker skin than the baby.

does she? I didn't see a notable difference. Though the child was behind glass. 
another fun theory is that the child is Amy's baby. 

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 21:04 by Mr. Dalliard »

be humble,
for you are
made of earth.

be noble,
for you are
made of stars.

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: April 25, 2011, 00:08 »
i'm curious as to what exactly the silence are to be honest or how they're going to play this one out

i mean as is everyone else

but they made the tardis explode didn't they thats kind of something

i am looking forward to what they will do with them considering the first matt smith season is essentially a set up for the Silence in the first place and i'm hoping it's not going to be the whole "EVERY RACE THAT HATES YOU EVER IS HERE just to lock you in a box kthxbye" sorta meh-moment that was in the last season
           

EMPIRE

« Reply #1918 on: April 25, 2011, 22:16 »
i must say i did love that episode and it was interesting take on how to kick off a series without a new doctor or a new companion, which is something we've had in every series since the reboot.

Offline Specstile

• The Hoenn and Grass type fanatic!
  • Poképprentice Runner-up
  • Sentret Fan
  • Come At Me Bro
    • View Profile
    • FaceBook, only addy if i know you D:
« Reply #1919 on: April 26, 2011, 05:00 »
Ahh that's why they kept saying 'the silence is comming' How could i forget that!
Also The Vampires of Venice eppisode, the creatures ran away from the silence.

I say the silence got into the tardis at 'the vampires of venice' eppisode
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:08 by Specstile »

Y FC:0344-9270-9498